35 and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dramaqueendaisy

#16 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hiya

I'm 40 and was braced at 37 :shock: I'm nearing the end now...about time...it's been nearly three years! I have had 5 teeth removed and the last gap is finally almost closed (teeth were straightened ages ago...!)

I just wanted to say that this is probably one of the best things I have ever done for myself...I'm a mum of 3 and am always so busy...should've done this when I was 13 but had scoliosis so was having treatment for that and couldn't do it all! I have close friends I've met since being braced and they just know me as me and don't think of my teeth...and the ones I had before dont ever mention it they're so used to it! I'm an actor too..on stage (I have ceramics) they are invisible...speaking clearly was a problem at first but now I've got it sorted.

Good luck...it's so worth it!

5 teeth out during Feb 07

Ceramics top and bottom Friday 9 March 2007

Braces removed (!!) and permanent retainers fitted Monday 24 May 2010

Essix retainers Wednesday 26 May 2010

wildbill

#17 Post by wildbill »

Today was the day for me...March 25. Hopefully in two years on this date I will be able to say to myself it was well worth it.

I had ceramic on top and metal on bottom to fix severe overcrowding issues.

I have one main question for anybody. My top teeth are fairly straight, but my front bottom teeth are significantly higher than the rest of my bottom teeth. The braces now make me want to bite down like I'm supposed to know which is great in the front, but none of my back teeth come together.

When can I expect this situation to improve because I cannot put any teeth together for chewing. I had some chicken rice soup and all I could do was move it around in my mouth until it dissolvs. It's really annoying. Is this normal?

Jethro

#18 Post by Jethro »

Hey Wildbill,

Congrats on getting braced! Yes, it's very common for tops and bottoms not to line up properly after getting braced. Many see improvement within a few weeks, but it varies. In the meantime, eat soft foods and cut it into small pieces. If you experience soreness, otc pain meds help a lot, as does the wax to alleviate cheek/lip irritation. I found that staying hydrated and keeping bottled water handy was very helpful, especially in the beginning.

Best of luck to you during your journey.