How many have Headgear Tubes?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tsmurfenator

How many have Headgear Tubes?

#1 Post by tsmurfenator »

I'm curious how many folks who had braces recently installed have headgear tubes? i.e. the tubes attached to molar bands which you place headgear into?

I have these, on both of my primary upper molars, and I know my ortho specifically put them on because I have bands on 7/8 molars and none of the others have them.
Wondering if this is for a purpose, and if it is standard practice nowadays.
Seems like headgear is pretty rare nowadays? No idea if that's part of my treatment plan, but why would I have these otherwise?
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's just the way molar bands are made. The tubes are there for the rare instances that headgear may be used. So even if you personally will never use the tubes, if you need bands, you get the tubes too.

VA5

Re: How many have Headgear Tubes?

#3 Post by VA5 »

tsmurfenator wrote:I'm curious how many folks who had braces recently installed have headgear tubes? i.e. the tubes attached to molar bands which you place headgear into?

I have these, on both of my primary upper molars, and I know my ortho specifically put them on because I have bands on 7/8 molars and none of the others have them.
Wondering if this is for a purpose, and if it is standard practice nowadays.
Seems like headgear is pretty rare nowadays? No idea if that's part of my treatment plan, but why would I have these otherwise?
I have the tubes. I know for sure b/c I was wearing headgear for a couple of months, lol. It seems that they will put everything in your mouth, in case you ever need it. I could be wrong, but my mouth seems "fully equipped" and i know that she didn't mention a thing about using headgear initially.. I'm fairly certain it wasn't part of her plan b/c I was the one to suggest using headgear, and she was surprised b/c she was sure I wouldn't want to use it.

gary

#4 Post by gary »

HEADGEAR?! YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN TERRIFYING ME!!

tsmurfenator

#5 Post by tsmurfenator »

TumbleDryLow wrote:Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's just the way molar bands are made. The tubes are there for the rare instances that headgear may be used. So even if you personally will never use the tubes, if you need bands, you get the tubes too.
This is what I thought - but I know that my ortho put the bands herself - she fit the bands (which contained no bracket) and then attached the brackets to them later on. And in the case of those 2 bands put headgear tubes. So for some reason she specifically put those ones on.

I have a total of 7 molar bands and only the 2 have headgear tubes so I interpret that is evidence that molar bands w/o headgear tubes exist. :-)
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

jambo532

yikes

#6 Post by jambo532 »

gary I'm with you. I would not look cute in head gear
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

Takako

#7 Post by Takako »

By default most rear brackets have what are called buccal tubes, and that's what headgear COULD go in if you needed it. I don't need it, but I still have those tubes anyway because as other people said, that's just how those brackets are made. It doesn't mean you need head gear! lol.

tsmurfenator

#8 Post by tsmurfenator »

Well, I finally had my appointment yesterday - and this was on my list of questions to ask my ortho, and she said exactly what you all said. The bands she use have those tubes. She also said I won't have headgear.

Still don't understand how this can really be the case when only 2 out of the 7 bands I have those tubes - proof to me that bands without headgear tubes exist, but whatever. I told her they were kind of pain (they aren't that bothersome but are the least comfortable part) and she said most patients get accustomed to them. I also don't understand even if it were the case that bands without headgear tubes exist, how the industry could let this happen since only a small percentage of patients will use them and they cause unnecessary discomfort, not to mention waste of material, to anybody else. I didn't want to become known as a complaining high-maintenance troublemaker patient, so I just smiled and didn't press the issue any further.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

GHW48

#9 Post by GHW48 »

They put men on the moon. I don't understand why the tubes when no head gear will be worn? Obviously the people that make these things have never worn them or they would make a band without tubes because they are unnecessary petty torture -- two years with these things sticking in my cheeks. :x