Bullpen Seating at Orthodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tsmurfenator

Bullpen Seating at Orthodontist

#1 Post by tsmurfenator »

I don't know what the "technical" term is for it, but most of the orthodontic clinics I have been to have "bullpen" type seating where they have a bunch of chairs in one room, and they put everybody getting adjustments, basically all together in room. My current ortho has four chairs all in one big open room.

Is this true for your orthodontist clinic?
Does it bother you?

Obviously (?) the reason for this is to save money and make things go faster and more efficiently, quicker for assistants and the doctor to move around, and access equipment. But I personally would be willing to pay a premium for even slightly more private service.
Really I have never seen this at a regular dental clinic, or for that matter any type of medical clinic. Even, for example, my ortho clinic also does regular dental work which happens in a private room but all ortho work is in the open room.

Honestly, it does bother me a little bit, and when I'm lying there in my cheek retractors, or going through my long list of questions with the orthodontist, and they bring in mostly pre-teens wondering who the old guy is. What happened to privacy? Seriously I don't understand why it would be so much trouble to put up cubicle like walls, or just separate rooms. It's not like land is scarce here. It is like this at regular dental clinics so why not orthodontist clinics?
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

Vulcan

#2 Post by Vulcan »

I think they refer to it as an "open bay" or maybe just a "bay". I think it is quite common, but the ortho I go to has individual rooms for each chair. No door, but it does feel a little more private and secure.

fosterp

#3 Post by fosterp »

when i was doing my consults with various orthos i wondered the same thing since the first one had a room like you described, but the consult room and place to take records were in private - but when they put my braces on it was in the open room

one office had private rooms, and then i never saw but the pictures looked like it was sort of half and half - it was one room but it was sectioned off with dividers sort of so you couldn't see who was in the other chair, kind of like hospital dividers.

i don't know if money is really the issue, since i went with the most expensive one and he had the open room.

my theory was that since the majority of patients are adolescents and young teenagers - perhaps they don't see private rooms as privacy but more as intimidating since they are alone with strangers they don't know

but if you are in a wide open room, and theres other kids their same age being worked on, plus their parents that might be waiting in the reception area are in direct line of sight (at least at my office they are) - might relieve some anxiety about being in the chair

just my guess though

kilikena311

#4 Post by kilikena311 »

My dentist and ortho are at the same office and there is no "bullpen seating" The ortho visits happen in the rooms where normally the dentist would do a filling, etc...the rooms that have the drills, etc. And these are seperate "rooms" that have no door. The rooms for the dental cleanings are narrower and have no door but also the x-ray machine will swing between two of the rooms via an opening in the wall. Every time I've had a cleaning there has never been anyone in the adjacent room, but they usually put someone over there just as I'm leaving so it feels private.

fluffybottom

#5 Post by fluffybottom »

My ortho has an open bay set up. The chairs are angled and that kind of limits what you can really see. But I don't really care. I mean, it's not like I am worried that the kid in cheek retractors is going to make fun of me while I'm in cheek retractors. Besides, I don't really care what people I don't know (and who I will probably never see again) think of me.

:lol:
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

felicia

#6 Post by felicia »

My ortho's office is, I could say, luxurious...and they still have the bay area (open room with many chairs where patients can see each other). It does not bother me at all being in the same room with other patients. All the chairs are actually facing a big oval wall with huge windows, and I usually stare outside the windows while waiting for my ortho or assistant to come. I really do not think that I need any extra privacy...it's an orthodontist office, they look into my mouth, it's not like I have to undress for a full exam...Ha ha

Donna

#7 Post by Donna »

My ortho is part of a large hospital dental centre, and he has a private room. All the dentists/orthos do. It's probably no biggie to have an open setting, but I prefer a private room.

DrJasonKTam

#8 Post by DrJasonKTam »

It is open bay or open concept. It does save money, as less space is required, but it is more for patient and staff management. It would be extremely difficult to work with the number of chairs that orthodontists use, if we had to go from room to room.

I'm not sure where orthodontists decided it was ok to have open concepts, but I think it has something to do with the fact that no one should be embarrassed to undergo orthodontic treatment. It's no secret that you're straightening your teeth and everyone around you in the office is going through the same thing. There is nothing taboo or abnormal about it, unlike some other dental/medical procedures... even for adults! In an open bay office, no one is staring at your mouth or standing over your chair while you're getting your adjustment.

The idea of kids/teens wondering why you're getting braces isn't as much a function of the open concept, but rather the demographic of patients that see your orthodontist and the office environment.

If you do want more private treatment, and there is no private room, I would suggest you speak to the office manager about when the office is less busy. You may be able to find some off-peak hours where there is an empty chair beside you. Hope this helps :).
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Steph in Sac

#9 Post by Steph in Sac »

My ortho is the same with the open room. (There is a private room for consultations, etc. and another for x-rays). I did have to laugh when I saw the open room for the first time because it brought back memories of my first ortho experience at age 13.

I don't mind it because the seats are far enough apart and angled out of a circle shape that I can't see anyone else and I assume they can't see me. Not that it would matter to me--I've had enough dental work over my lifetime to not care about sitting in the chair anymore.

Along the same lines, I do make my appointments early after the local high school is already in session. Once I had an afternoon appointment and I was uncomfortable to be the "old lady" (age 37) in a packed office. The only people my age were the parents sitting in the waiting room. :wink:

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#10 Post by blindboarder2008 »

my ortho has open concept seating as well for when people get their braces on and when there getting adjustments. there are also 2 other rooms that are more private. the one room is like a records room (where alll the patients records are done, the other room is a consultation room and can also be used as a treatment room for people that request it. My ortho office just acutally got remolded last year so its all brand new and totally up to date!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

TumbleDryLow

#11 Post by TumbleDryLow »

My ortho office has a bit of both--some private rooms as well as one large area. This I think this set up is manly due to the fact the office is a huge Queen Anne Victorian and they tried to keep as much as they could of the original floor plan and historic charm.

It was a little weird at first being in the main room. There was so much commotion going on--not at all what a normal doctors or dentists experience is--but I got used to it. I'll admit though, I am a bit psyched when I get one of the private rooms.

Chicagogal

#12 Post by Chicagogal »

I was wierded out by this a bit too since my dentist office is so private, but at my ortho there are half walls up between people who are seated all in a row. I've seen my ortho have to move between "stalls" quickly and we're in a urban high-rise where space is a premium. i thought it was weird at first but it seems fairly common.

the only thing that really bugs me about it is hearing sounds I'd prefer not to (wires clipping, someones gasp of momentary pain). but maybe those all help me get used to what might happen to me. dunno.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

DrBlur

#13 Post by DrBlur »

TumbleDryLow wrote:My ortho office has a bit of both--some private rooms as well as one large area. This I think this set up is manly due to the fact the office is a huge Queen Anne Victorian and they tried to keep as much as they could of the original floor plan and historic charm.

It was a little weird at first being in the main room. There was so much commotion going on--not at all what a normal doctors or dentists experience is--but I got used to it. I'll admit though, I am a bit psyched when I get one of the private rooms.
Same here...it doesn't bother me either way
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

psych braces

#14 Post by psych braces »

my ortho office is the dental school at the university medical school. It seems chaotic because there are doctors flying around (lots of them)all over the office. Its busy and space is scarce but it seems to function quite well. I actually chose this office because it was soooo much cheaper, however, another reality is that I felt genuine compassion (they also had to select me). The chaotic nature of this office would never work with walls and I'm not bothered by it (the doc's and patients seem really focused on their own issues). Besides, I had three consults and all three had the same set up.

Vieve25

#15 Post by Vieve25 »

HAHA! mine is the same! consults and xrays are private and then getting braced and adjustments and impressions are in this big shared bull pen room! HAHA! I actually think its kind of cool - I like listening to peoples convo's!
-Jennie (Vieve25)

Diagnosis:
-Class II division II type malocclusion
-Severely deep overbite
-Upper Left Permanent Cuspid is Impacted
-Midline deviation

Treatment Plan:
-Full banded appliances
-Lower lingual arch
-Extraction of upper left deciduous cuspid
-Re-evaluate the need for extraction of upper left first bicuspid
-Exposure of the upper left permanent cuspid will be necessary