Keeping teeth looking white

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tasha89

Keeping teeth looking white

#1 Post by tasha89 »

I have metal braces but I still feel my teeth will never look as white as they once did. I am fairly good with brushing my teeth especially after meals but any suggestions?

Snowglobe32

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have ceramic on top and metal on the bottom. Sometimes my bottoms look a little on the gray side, next to the brackets. Before I got the braces, my teeth were really white. I brought this up with my ortho and my hygenist, they both said that metal brackets can make the teeth appear to be not so white. Which I believe because I can see the difference between the two.

I also have some days when my teeth look really white and other days when they don't. I am not going to worry about this too much because I plan on getting them whitened after the braces come off.

I bet no one notices the change except you.

felicia

#3 Post by felicia »

My teeth were never as white like you see in some people, but I am OK with it, and like Snowglobe32, I am planning to treat myself with some professional whitening after braces...but until then I use different kinds of tooth paste, now I have 3 kinds, and every time I brush I use a different one...and one of them has whitening...after a week of using it I noticed that my teeth were much whiter than before...I was thinking "it's impossible for it to work that fast!!!!"........and it was......the reason my teeth looked so white was because I've been tanning in my backyard for the past week....
Soooooooooooo, the cheapest way to whiten your teeth.....GET SOME SUNTAN!!!!!!!!
.....it works.

Pattyb

#4 Post by Pattyb »

I have had good luck with Listerine whitening mouth rinse, once a day.
And I don't drink coffee...

b

#5 Post by b »

Arent you not supposed to use whitening toothpaste with braces as it will cause yellow spots where the brackets are placed?
Thats what I heard anyways.. and it makes sense to me, so I only use regular toothpaste. One the braces are off I will probably use whitestrips and start using the whitening toothpaste and mouthwash regularly though.
Spacers in Aug. '09
MARA without elbows on Aug/09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Elbows for MARA in Feb. 25/10
Braces off August 26, 2010!
Essix Retainers

my story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33571

HIMgurl

#6 Post by HIMgurl »

I whitened my teeth before I got braces and I use UltraBrite toothpaste. I didnt have any issues with stains or bracket spots. I also brushed after every meal or sugary drink.
I have just completed my treatment!!