TADS/Microscrews... what's your experience been like?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

50+

TADs

#16 Post by 50+ »

Thanks lenoreo...Good advice about going to the ortho right after....the words that bother me the most are "slowly moving"...I'm already getting impatient! Thanks for your input. Would love to hear from more TADites!
:D
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

duff18

#17 Post by duff18 »

I am getting tads in a month or so. I got braces about 5 weeks ago. Initially I had this awful device between my top molars that suspended an acrylic plate just below my upper palate and was anchored to my rear molars. I could not eat and my speech was off terribly. I had it removed after 4 days and the tech joked with me that she was surprised I lasted that long. Now I will go with tads to keep my upper molars from moving down and forward.

My ortho is very confident in the tads and feels they are extremely effective. The only concern is if they loosen. After reading this post, I can tell that is something to be concerned with.

emmierocksss

#18 Post by emmierocksss »

i got two TADS placed at the top to close gaps in the beginning of february... elastics were attached the next day. left side was okay and still is but the right side came loose 3 weeks later. went to the OS that put them in and she just screwed it in even further.... that lasted about 3 weeks until my ortho adjustment where springs were attached...since then about 2 weeks ago, i can feel the screw moving down closer and closer to the root of my tooth...its not the most comfortable feeling ever and the spring is now digging into my gum...!! safe to say im gonna have to go in and get that one removed. she said this time she will take it out and place a new one in a different spot...

last time i went in to have the screw tightened, she said she wouldnt charge me to change it if it were to come loose again...hopefully she remembers that conversation because these things cost me 425$ each ... w/o insurance and thus far i havent really seen any change so im a little skeptical...

overall though... didnt hurt to put either of them in nor when the elastics or springs were attached (except for the now migrating screw on the right)... but then again im one of the VERY few that can say that i have not really had any unbearable pain from braces (6 months in) ... so i guess everyone is different even the OS said that shes had a few patients that experienced a considerable amount of discomfort...

oh and theyre super long screws too... its a little scary and intimidating haha like ... this long <------> (apparently they hold better!!)

50+

Question about TADs

#19 Post by 50+ »

I am due to have 3 TADs inserted the end of this month then the ortho will place the anchoring lines (not sure of the terminology) the following week. My question is: I am going out of town leaving the 2 days later - should I delay the TADs or should I go ahead and have them done prior to my trip? The dates are:
9/29 TADs
10/7 - ortho
10/9 -16 trip

The next possible date to schedule it will be Oct 27 due to other commitments. Would this add a lot of time to my treatment period?

sjs8906

Re: Question about TADs

#20 Post by sjs8906 »

50+ wrote:I am due to have 3 TADs inserted the end of this month then the ortho will place the anchoring lines (not sure of the terminology) the following week. My question is: I am going out of town leaving the 2 days later - should I delay the TADs or should I go ahead and have them done prior to my trip? The dates are:
9/29 TADs
10/7 - ortho
10/9 -16 trip

The next possible date to schedule it will be Oct 27 due to other commitments. Would this add a lot of time to my treatment period?
I would say it should be fine to have the TADs inserted before your trip. I had my TADs inserted and loaded on the same day and had no soreness, they caused me no problems at all. Not sure of your particular situation, depending on what the TADs are being used for your teeth may be a little sore from movement, but I don't think it would affect your trip! Good luck!

50+

TADs

#21 Post by 50+ »

Thanks sjs8906 - thanks for the info. I want to be sure to enjoy food while I'm away..they won't interfere with my chewing? I've also heard of them falling out. I'm going to call my ortho to find out if I can make my appt earlier so that I can experience them loaded a few days before I leave.
Thanks again...I'll keep you posted.

goodteethby2013

TAD experience

#22 Post by goodteethby2013 »

I got my TAD two weeks ago - it was a pretty uncomfortable appointment, since its located in the farthest position in my lower jaw, where my wisdom tooth used to be. I guess the angle for screwing it in is not optimal. My ortho got it in, and after a week of adjusting to it, my mouth felt better. But then it fell out this morning. Ugh. I guess they'll try to put it back in in a few weeks. Not looking forward to it, and wondering if I should have just gotten a tooth extracted, which was my other option instead of the TAD.

alimommy1

#23 Post by alimommy1 »

I think I'd much rather have a TAD than an extraction, if it could be done instead. I am wondering whether an ortho might use TADS for retraction help without fixed braces, I've been researching info about them but I haven't seen any used in cases by themselves. I did see some info about using them to move a molar forward into a space rather than keeping the space open for an implant too, which would also be an option I'd look into.

50+

TADs - IV or Local?

#24 Post by 50+ »

I'm schedule to have 3 TADs inserted the end of this month. The question is should I have an IV or local anesthesia? I'd prefer local - don't like to be put out for something so minor. Wonder what everyone on this site has to say on the matter - those with the experience. I've got a call into my oral surgeon to see which way to go - he said I had the option, but his office staff are saying otherwise. Please help me make my decisionj.

Thanks!

50+

TADs - etc

#25 Post by 50+ »

I'm also going to be out of town 1 1/2 weeks afterward - should I have it done before or after? Don't want to prolong my treatment.

50+

TADs

#26 Post by 50+ »

I'm scheduled to have 3 TADs inserted on 9/29 and scheduled to have them loaded on 10/7...is that too long to wait? My ortho doesn't think it will be a problem. would love your input.

sjs8906

Re: TADs - IV or Local?

#27 Post by sjs8906 »

50+ wrote:I'm schedule to have 3 TADs inserted the end of this month. The question is should I have an IV or local anesthesia? I'd prefer local - don't like to be put out for something so minor. Wonder what everyone on this site has to say on the matter - those with the experience. I've got a call into my oral surgeon to see which way to go - he said I had the option, but his office staff are saying otherwise. Please help me make my decisionj.

Thanks!

When I had my TADs inserted all that was used was a little numbing gel and an air blast of lidocaine. My ortho waited about two minutes to make sure I was numb and then screwed them in. I didn't feel a thing! :)

Clo

#28 Post by Clo »

Hi,

local anesthesia for this. What sjs8906 said is really true.
But I think the longer you wait having them loaded, the more risk you have that the TADs come loose. I experienced that.

VA5

#29 Post by VA5 »

TADS are made so you can load them right away. No need to wait. Also, no need to be put under! Local anesthesia is the most they'll use b/c they need to know if they are hitting a root or something... some orthos only use numbing gel.

Wongohk

#30 Post by Wongohk »

My ortho is going do it soon or later, told me I need 2 screws, one on each side. After reading here, give me some comfort...

Tooth brush used 3
Dental Flossed used (approx) 200m
Cost of dental floss so far HKD105
Cost of mouth wash HKD210 (3nd bottle)