Speech Changes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

njsuburban

Speech Changes

#1 Post by njsuburban »

I'm wondering if anyone's speech got worse with braces? I'm braced on the top for now, and I'm noticing that my speech is horrible. I've always had speech issues due the the crowding but was able to compensate. I know it will get better (and maybe worse once the bottoms are braced) but how long can I expect to have issues?
Braced Feb. 18, 2010.

drpotter

#2 Post by drpotter »

Mine did, but I got linguals and it was expected. I'm 2 weeks in and my speech is pretty much back to normal, I just have trouble with a few sounds (STs in particular). You've just got a new mouth shape pretty much and are probably holding your jaw and lips differently, it'll take a few days to adjust but you will :).
Check out my braces blog: http://www.fullmetalbracket.com/

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

It took me about a week and a half. My husband was the only one that noticed it, so it wasn't too bad. Singing in the car helps your lips get used to the braces faster, thats what i did. :D
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

lovelyleo

#4 Post by lovelyleo »

Needless to say I still have my moments over a year into treatment. But its usually when I am talking way too fast. :P

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

beautifulbraceddiva

#5 Post by beautifulbraceddiva »

Sometimes I have trouble with the sh, th and sw sounds. My three year old great nephew corrected the way I said "teeth" the other day.

njsuburban

#6 Post by njsuburban »

Thanks for the replies. I'm having the most trouble with "f" "v" and "th" mostly. I'm guessing that because my teeth have moved so much and I have all this hardware in my mouth I can't get used to saying the sounds before the teeth move again. Should be fun when the bottoms go on and I get elastics.
Braced Feb. 18, 2010.