Why did you guys choose to have braces in adutlhood?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

#31 Post by iBorg »

I'm a second timer.
Had braces in my late teens-early twenties. My first treatment wasn't successful and my teeth kept shifting. I developed severe TMJ about ten years prior to braces and started living on pain killers. It finally got to the point where I had to do something about the pain as short of totally knocking me out the pain killers weren't really helping. Then I developed internal issues due to the amount of pain killers I was taking. Finally, a doctor basically told me I either needed to live without the painkillers or I'd live without parts of my lower intestines. Seemed like an easy decision when my ortho told me she couldn't eliminate the pain but should be able to reduce it down to a three or four on a ten point scale.

My TMJ is much better (thanks God!) and I'm actually not ashamed of my smile even with wires.

Braces for me have been a good thing, even with jaw surgery thrown into the mix.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

50+

Why I got braces at my age -53

#32 Post by 50+ »

I never really thought of braces until I went to get bridgework to close gaps from molar extraction. My teeth have been crooked all my life, but my parents didn't have the money to get them and the dentist thought by pulling a molar they would spread out. This caused problems with my midline. Also, I had many cavaties as a child and my molars were mostly filling and didn't hold up over the years. My option was to get them pulled. I knew in order to stay healthy, I needed to close the gaps. One day I had an 'aha' moment and thought about pursuing braces. After 1 initial visit to an orthodontist, she said it could be done - so I set out to find an orthodontist I felt comfortable with and took my insurance. I am very pleased with my decision - but wished I had had this 'aha' moment years ago!! After almost 2 months I already see an improvement in my front teeth and the gaps appear to be getting smaller. In 4 months, I'll be getting TADs to help the back molars to move forward. Looking forward to de-bracing day which is about 28 months away - if all goes well, that is!

Anyone out there ever experience having their braces removed temporarily and reapplied for an occasion- such as a wedding? Need some advise.
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

bracedup

#33 Post by bracedup »

For me, deciding on braces at 41 was a step that I was forced into. One of my pre molars cracked down to the root and subsequently could not be saved. The verdict by my dentist was an implant, a bridge or a gap! None of these solutions made me happy. I decided to go to the orthodontist my kids went to for an opinion and was thrilled to learn that finally all my overcrowded teeth can be fixed. I have always been worried about ending up with false teeth because of my overcrowding and now hopefully have saved my teeth. The only time it's to late is when there's none left, I am so glad my tooth cracked because now I look forward to finally having a beautiful smile..... :D

psych braces

#34 Post by psych braces »

bracedup, Seriously! Your story is identical to mine. My dentist never mentioned ortho as an option, I was studying my teeth trying to come up with a solution other than implant and decided that it would be worth checking out the ortho route. At the ortho consult I was told it was a great idea and that it would be an excellent remedy. The best part is that I have longed for braces to straighten my teeth but could not/would not spend the money on myself (single mom with kids in need of braces) and worried about what others would think. Now that it has become a solution...it's all good! I don't get them until May and the anticipation is killing me!

amy

#35 Post by amy »

All the kids in my family inherited my dad's awful teeth. We all faced dental issues but faced them differently. My mom just could never afford braces for me or my sister (my dad's other kids are from a previous marriage).

I hated going to the dentist and had a general phobia about teeth because my dad had weak enamel and lost all but his four front lower teeth by the time he was 35. I was scared that would be me so conversely I avoided the dentist like the plague until I graduated college.

I finally found a dentist who I adore and actually listens when I tell her something hurts. Turns out my mouth was in a bad way and I had periodontist which was awful. The ensuring work to get my teeth up to par made me focus on my teeth more. I have a protruding canine that I can't stand even though people say it's not that bad. It's definitely noticeable.

I kept thinking "oh braces are just too expensive." This december, however, I had to delay going back to school, my TMJ began flaring up again because apparently my bite shifted, and my dentist told me I would be much less likely to get cavities with straighter teen. When I learned that braces would likely not only straighten my teeth but fix my TMJ I took the plunge.

I was braced yesterday and so far I'm getting through it. 24 months to go!

DrBlur

#36 Post by DrBlur »

I didn't choose, it was suggested by my dentist, who referred me to an orthodontist. My dentist had noticed my bite was all messed up (open bite, cross bite, etc) and when I went to the orthodontist, they also noticed my palate was too small (something I've noticed for years). So wasn't necessarily a choice to begin the process, but was definitely a choice to get it taken care of now!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

SpicyOrleanian

#37 Post by SpicyOrleanian »

I've always hated my front teeth, and how they looked when I smiled on pictures, but I also didn't like how braces looked on other people and how it affected how they closed their mouth, so I thought ugh, I don't want them I gonna look crazy!! (although I had crooked teeth, and theirs were gonna be straight..lol)

A couple years ago, a lot of my peers started getting them, and I thought I better get them while everyone else is (so I won't be the only one too old for braces), but that time also passed and my husband got tired of me looking a pictures and complaining about my teeth, so last year he pushed me to make an appt. to get them! (although it took me 6 mths to do it)

drpotter

#38 Post by drpotter »

I've hated my teeth for well...ever. My dentist has been after me to get braces for years now because my bite was messing up my jaw and wearing down my teeth (yay for the possibility of dentures in my 40s!), but I just couldn't afford them.

Finally, a few months ago one of those moments that I was always worried would happen, but my dentist swore wasn't possible, happened. I got floss stuck in my far too crowded tight teeth! Stuck so bad that I landed in the dentist's office to get it dislodged, boy was that embarrassing. That was it, I was in for an ortho consult within a week and having molds made for my braces a week after that. 3 months later (it took a while for my linguals uppers to come in) they're on and all I can think is I really wish I'd been able to afford this sooner, because I'd be done by now.
Check out my braces blog: http://www.fullmetalbracket.com/

OuchMyAppendix

#39 Post by OuchMyAppendix »

I had wanted them since I was a teen but my family could just never afford braces. At 28, one of my best friend's dad was an ortho and I decided the time was right!

I almost sort of regret it. I think knowing what I do now, I would have shopped around more and tried to go for no extractions, find an ortho that knows more about Carrieres, TADs, did in-house IPR, etc.

beautifulbraceddiva

#40 Post by beautifulbraceddiva »

I chose braces because as a child and teenager I was a thumbsucker. I didn't quit until I was over 20 years old and my parents no longer carried me on their insurance. I decide now was the time mainly because the tooth next to my front tooth began to move under my front tooth. Not attractive so this was may deciding factor being a yuk mouth or a professional. I chose the later.

Meemoo

#41 Post by Meemoo »

My parents couldn't really afford them when I was younger and I was given differing opinions - one said that I needed them and the other one said that I'd only need them for cosmetic reasons, so my parents opted to listen to the one that meant they didn't need to spend money!

Now, my teeth are at the stage where they need to be fixed so I'm going to do it myself.

LARRYBOY56

#42 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

I had never even thought of braces! My teeth have always been fairly straight. I have a small gap on the bottom but has never been a big deal and considered my teeth just fine.

I recently changed dentists after 25 years, only to find out my family dentist hadn't been taking care of business for all these years. He had been drilling and filling for many years, but never mentioned additional treatment that might be needed. My new dentist informed me that my bite was messed up, and that I had an extra lower tooth and that was causing the slight crowding on the bottom. He also informed me that my constant chipping and wearing down of my front teeth could not be fixed without braces or crowns (or maybe both ?).

I will be making decisions this week on how to approach all of this ! So... the lesson here is that straight teeth do not equal escaping braces later in life. To all you 50+ year olds.... make room! Here comes grampa to join the metal mouth gang ! I admire you all more for taking this journey at our age. :shock:

Pattyb

#43 Post by Pattyb »

My problem is really overcrowded teeth.

As I have aged, I came to the awful realization that my teeth were still moving closer to one another and starting to go off in weird directions. I finally had enough, and at age 52, I figured that I had better do something about it.

I have needed braces for many years. My parents couldn't afford them back in the day--like many other folks on this board. I'm thankful every single day that I am in a position to actually pay for them myself.

Mimi31

#44 Post by Mimi31 »

ayvecs wrote:i chose braces because i always wanted them since i was a teenager. i have a gap between my two front teeth which has always bothered me and wanted it closed. when i would smile or laugh i would always use my hand to cover my mouth. if taking pictures i would give a no teeth smile. now i'm at the stage where i have a job that pays well as well as good insurance, so now is a better time than any.

i think if i were to get braces when i was younger, i probably would of had to get them again because i don't think i would have been as disciplined in wearing my retainer as i should have and probably would have relapsed.

so far i am happy about the decision i made and i have only had my braces for a week now. i hope i will still feel the same way at the end of the treatment and what my new smile looks like.
This is my story exactly!

retainerjoe

#45 Post by retainerjoe »

i never realy chose braces , i'm a tmj patient an sleep apena patient , but quite happy i've had with the outcome , braces had to go back on this time because of some gaps, (yes even with retainer wear) an a bit of shifting in my bit , guess i'm the lucky one , two years this time maybe less
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces