What can I do to prevent bone loss in my

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melani

What can I do to prevent bone loss in my

#1 Post by melani »

hi , I am worried because last time I went to my dentist she said i have a bone loss....
I have a jaw misalignment and overbite, currently I am under orthodontic treatment. It's been a year I wear braces and there is a year and a half more to go plus a year to wear retainer 24 /7, after which I have to wear it all my life night times.
Last saturday I went to regular cleaning and dentist took x rays of my mouth and told that I have a bone loss. It is not a sever case but I am scared, She didn't even say where , in my jaw in teeth??? I just know it is somewhere in my mouth. well she said it can be caused from braces it is sort of normal. Today I told my ortho about the issue she told me that I have had bone loss before I put braces on the first x-rays shows that about which I learn now, I mean she didn't tell me anything in the beginning of the treatment , I wonder why??? anyways She said it is because I had a misalignment of jaw and there is a pressure because of it.
So please advice me what should I do , She said she had seen that before and sounded like it is not scary but I felt like it is a serious problem , I have had great teeth very strong before the treatment and now they are moving a lot although she always said it is normal , but it is moving so much I think it wants to come out. I am afraid to eat anything hard not to damage my teeth. Not all the teeth are moving that badly but there are couple that move really badly
Please tell me what is going on??? I am 34 years old, never smoked, drank occasionally not more that a few sips, sexually not active , never had kids ,
What can I do to prevent that , what is the worst scenario I know insurances do not cover such problems. Has anyone experienced this? with or without having ortho treatment? (braces)???? how can I determine on ex ray if i have any bone loss, I look at the picture but do not get it
Thank you so much what can I do

ReneG

#2 Post by ReneG »

Ok, now that I read this post, I understand more why your ortho wouldn't want you on elastics now.

I had the same thing happen - bone loss by means of shortened/resorbed roots. My ortho felt that my teeth were shakier than usual and had me do an xray. It confirmed that my lower canines and incisors were suffering from bone loss around the root. Comparing the xrays with my pre-brace xrays, the bone loss appears as a darkened area around the roots. The roots are also shorter/smaller as they shrank.

It's expected to happen - after all to move the teeth you would need to loosen them! The question is the severity.

In my case, I was not elastics at that time and this was before my surgery. My ortho changed my wire to the lowest strength - a thin one - and told me we had to leave it to stabilize before moving forward. Because if they don't stabilize, they'll eventually fall out! On my end, I went on a soft chew diet and increased my calcium intake (daily yogurt!)

The good news is that yes they stabilized and I'm used to having daily yogurt now :P
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

melani

Stabilize teeth??? my ortho never mentions such things

#3 Post by melani »

well yeah I do have the same issue my bottom teeth are loose but she says it is normal she doesn't think about stabilizing my teeth , the reason she took elastics off was the swollen gum I am saying gum because it was only one spot She doesn't explain things to me so have lots of questions but do not dare to ask her because doesn't like it, she answers very short way ,rushing through it seems that she is in a hurry and I am holding her with my questions, she gave me 2.5 years for all but if we go back and forth like this my fear is that we will never finish it :(

ReneG

Re: Stabilize teeth??? my ortho never mentions such things

#4 Post by ReneG »

melani wrote:I am not sure I do trust my ortho for many reasons, but in this case she just told me completely take them off for a month and I already see that my jaw is shifted back again slightly but it did it is only a couple of days that I took them off , what will happen after the whole month.... well it will all go back where it was so :( all pain in vain, I have to start over again.
the puff of my gum I assume is just an allergy from elastics cause the redness is gone still a little swollen but I guess it will be gone too
anyways I am about not to follow her direction and put the elastics back on teeth again :?
melani wrote:well yeah I do have the same issue my bottom teeth are loose but she says it is normal she doesn't think about stabilizing my teeth , the reason she took elastics off was the swollen gum I am saying gum because it was only one spot She doesn't explain things to me so have lots of questions but do not dare to ask her because doesn't like it, she answers very short way ,rushing through it seems that she is in a hurry and I am holding her with my questions, she gave me 2.5 years for all but if we go back and forth like this my fear is that we will never finish it :(
You aren't a dentist - please do not assume you know that the puff of gum is or isn't.

Stopping elastics is a way of stabilizing your teeth. If you start wearing the elastics again, the strain will definitely worsen the bone loss and you risk losing your teeth.

If you don't trust your ortho, then get another opinion. It's your teeth. If she doesn't explain - ask. You do have a right to complete answers and you ARE paying for her time and expertise.

My suggestion is to compile a list of your questions and at your next appointment, even before you sit in the dentist chair, tell you you need to resolve these queries and explain your fears. Do not put the elastics on again.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

yj207

#5 Post by yj207 »

take calcium supplements, it may or may not help, but its better than nothing
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

Meemoo

#6 Post by Meemoo »

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about the bone loss - I'll echo some of the other posters and say that you should try and up your calcium intake if you can. More milk, yoghurt, cheese, etc, and even take a calcium supplement (make sure it has vitamin D in it as well and magnesium if possible). Get some natural sunlight on your skin (without sunscreen!) for a few minutes every day so that your body gets the vitamin D it needs to help the calcium strengthen your bones. If you're worried about the fat in dairy, look for low fat versions (these sometimes have more calcium in them!).

As for the questions you have, you should feel comfortable enough with your ortho to ask them. Don't feel bad that you're "rushing" her or holding her back or whatever. It's your treatment and you have the right to be informed and comfortable at every step of the way. Threaten to switch if you have to.

melani

Thank you all guys for your replies

#7 Post by melani »

I want to thank you guys for your quick replies , you were in my shoes one time you went through braces and you know how important your replies means to me.

As for the intake of the natural light, it is in my daily schedule, I walk a lot , also I eat a lot of sour cream and yogurt just because I love them and I also used to drink raw milk, stopped recently because the State of CA now forbade the sell of raw milk.
My bone loss is a result of misalignment according to my ortho , and she said that she was taking the elastics off not because of the bone-loss but just to have my gums rest. When I asked her is it because of the bone loss we are taking them off she replied " you have always had it , if you want to fix your teeth then I have to move your teeth to fix them"so she is not concerned about my bone loss , she told me it is not a sever case and that I will be fine. And that is why I do not understand why else she would take them off, that month I went to my dentist also for regular cleaning and checking and if there was something she would have told me right?
about all that info you gave me (the advice ) shouldn't I hear it from my dentist? I feel like they care only about their money and don't give a damn about their patients

I am going to take your advice though and ask her all the questions I have , you are right, they are my teeth and I have the right to know.
I do not exercise properly may be that also can help , sigh... I do not know.

Guys, you have been through this you know how painful it is , those elastics. I just do not understand how can I take a break from elastics , because everything will go back again and all my pain will be in vain.... After a month if I put them back again it will hurt more it will be the same thing wouldn't it??? everywhere I read people were posting they had to wear elastics all the time, I appreciate you guys took your time and shared with me your experience with them, I guess you are right I will take that advice too and listen to my ortho, just one fear : I do not want to wear these braces for like four years or so, God help me!
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONCERN