braces at 50

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

charly

braces at 50

#1 Post by charly »

Just registered today and interesting to read other stories. Until about the age of 38 my teeth were in line, it was after having a front crown fitted that was bulky at the back my teeth started to move. then I lost an upper insisor so now need an implant. Anyway to cut this story, I am now wearing braces and when done with them, about 15 months, I will be having 2 implants and a bridge. I must say that I was quite surprised at the discomfort for the first nine days, had my top braces fitted first then 4 weeks later had bottom fitted and not as much discomfort with the bottom other than they have built up my bite so my teeth don't meet so not so easy to eat but gettin used to it. Will be interested to see how other adults are getting on. I opted not to have any teeth removed so they are moving my teeth forward and I have no idea what the end result will be like. Hope I am doing the right thing!

a*young*51

#2 Post by a*young*51 »

Hello and Hi, another 50 year old, you are doing the right thing! I was just braced on top 2 weeks ago, bottoms and a bite plate next month....the discomfort sucks, but I cannot wait to see my teeth when everything is done

Pattyb

#3 Post by Pattyb »

Hi and welcome, Charly.

I'm closing in on the 3 month mark now. I'm 52 myself so I can only tell you that things do get better! I have horribly crowded teeth and have seen a lot of progress in 3 months. The discomfort was more than expected but I'm looking forward to having a nice smile at the end!