My gum is still swollen. My dentist said not to worry?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melani

My gum is still swollen. My dentist said not to worry?

#1 Post by melani »

It's been about a moth that my gum is swollen , I took the elastics off because of it , I thought it is allergy. but my ortho said that allergies are major issue mine is a little swollen needs to rest. So it is still there, hasn't got worse but neither got better so I went to my dentist for a check up and x ray but she said it is fine I do not need an x ray. It's probably a food or something I cleaned it really well floss it after almost each meal and rinse with salt water, also used a mouth wash 2 a day so it is clean just still a little red and inflamed. I do not know what to do. I don't want to go to my dentist too because she sounds like I am worried too much but I have read that if the if it doesn't go away I need to see a dentist which I did.
Are all dentists after their money? she charge me the money for visit for nothing actually now if I go back for the same reason she will charge me again. sucks... Please tell me what should I do

Jewles

#2 Post by Jewles »

You have to expect changes to your mouth throughout this process. Sections of my gum are very swollen, one part of my gum even swallowed a bit of my wire once! On top of gym swelling your teeth may feel loose, be very sensitive or just really hurt. This is all completely normal and definitely not worth visiting the dentist each time it happens!

melani

Thank you for the reply

#3 Post by melani »

Thank you so much for the reply , It was definitely useful. I am relieved . :P

lovelyleo

#4 Post by lovelyleo »

This advice may help you. I used to eat tons of popcorn
during my treatment until about two/three months ago. I noticed I developed a swollen gum on my upper first molar. It was very sore and tender but didn't look like an abscess. One friend who had braces as a teen told me to brush, floss, then gently brush my gum that was swollen and it should help. This gum was so swollen it was coming down over the bracket. I did as instructed and low and behold the swelling decreased and I had a small lump. The more I brushed my gums in that area the lump would travel furthur back towards my second molar. When it finally got between my first and second molar I glossed like crazy at the lump. There was a tiny amount of bleeding, but this nasty popcorn stuff came out of the little lump and with more gentle brushing on a daily basis the lump disappeared. Needless to say I'm holding off on popcorn until these braces come off. I don't know if you have food stuck in your gums, but a gentle brushing with soft bristles never hurt. I usually brushed in a circular pattern.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

CeliacMom

#5 Post by CeliacMom »

Thank you for posting this question! I was about to ask a similar one. I've noticed that in two places my gums are crowding the brackets. I wasn't sure if it was because I wasn't brushing enough or because my teeth were moving and starting to tip out instead of tipping in.

I will step up the brushing even more. For the first week I was only brushing twice a day because I wasn't eating. Thank goodness for carnation instant breakfast! The good news is I lost 7 lbs :)

kilikena311

#6 Post by kilikena311 »

I have one place on my upper gums, the tooth behind my canine on the right where my gum has been swollen since the day they put my brackets on. I have no swelling anywhere else, and I floss and brush there as much as I can. My dentist said that for some reason my gums reacted to the braces there, perhaps that bracket was a bit closer to the gum that the others. He said when I get done with my braces he'll just laser it off if the swelling doesn't go down pretty quickly. It has been a year and I've had 2 cleanings as well as doing my own routine so there wasn't anything stuck there in my case.

melani

Thank you guys for all your replies

#7 Post by melani »

Your replies surely helped me a lot. I must say my gum is still swollen and reading your comments I agree could be some reaction from bracket to that particular area, or even a popcorn, I ate them too, but now I do not and I will try to brush my teeth more gently , just when I brush gently seems to me they are still dirty
can't wait to take them off,...sigh...
Thank you for all your experience shared with me