how to explain my students the elastics in my mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melani

how to explain my students the elastics in my mouth?

#1 Post by melani »

I am working at an elementary school, and currently I have an orthodontic treatment. For couple of months I had to wear elastics to correct my jaw, That elastic rubber band goes diagonally in my mouth so that it is even not conformable to speak properly as it crosses right in front of my tongue. I took the elastic off for a month (following my ortho's instruction. )But soon I have to get it back on. Kids usually ask me" what is that in your mouth ?" also they look right at my mouth as I speak, and it is so embarrassing.
can you give me some tips how to explain my students about the elastics in my mouth or how to deal with this situation?
In other places I am fine well not 100% but in other places people usually are polite and do not ask anything , kids' curiosity kills me in this case...

sapphirerose924

#2 Post by sapphirerose924 »

Just be honest with them. If you don't act embarrassed, they won't think anything of it.

AaronD2010

#3 Post by AaronD2010 »

Tell them the truth, and that in 5-6 years they will understand...

Rachel B

#4 Post by Rachel B »

Well I just told my class the truth about my teeth and actually managed to link it in with an assembly that I did for the whole school as well so they all know! Just explain, they probably won't bat an eyelid! :D

Rach x

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

Instead of coming from a place of being embarrassed, use it as an occasion to teach them something. They'll probably think it's really cool that an elastic can do that.

melani

I will follow your advice Thanks a bunch

#6 Post by melani »

Thank you guys, you are awesome :P

catgyrl

#7 Post by catgyrl »

I agree - just be honest and approach it with a sense of fun. Kids are more understanding and less ignorant than some adults. My 4-year-old grand-niece (who normally won't give me the time of day) saw me the other day, walked right up and just stared at my mouth. Then she pointed at my teeth. I said, "Do you know what these are?" and she said, "Braces. Why do you have braces?" I told her that my teeth were a little bit crooked, and I wanted to fix them so I'd have nice, beautiful teeth like her mommy. She then said, "I'm not getting braces," took one look at my other niece and said, "But YOU need braces!" and walked out of the room.

Out of the mouths of babes... :lol: