Braces Privately and Operation(s) on NHS?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Emmauk

#16 Post by Emmauk »

Jen8626

Did you have to pay for the metal braces though?

I asked if basically i could pay for 6 upper and 6 lower ceramics and the remaining done through the NHS and i was told no by 2 different Orthodontists.

I have my record apt next month so will sort out the details then but i just assumed it would be all ceramic as i dont really want to pay for the metal ones.

Emma

Snowglobe32

#17 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Hello,

I can relate to your feelings of not wanting metal brackets. I have ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. If I could, I would have gone with all ceramic but I couldn't due to my bite. I can tell you that I hate my metals! I did the first day they were on and I still do, 7 months later.

If the ceramics are an option, I would definitely go with all ceramic.
Many people say that ceramics are bulkier, but my metals, STICK out more than my ceramic brakets. The ceramic brackets may be bigger in the sense that they cover more of my teeth, but they are clear, so who cares!

I know the issue of metal v. ceramic can get heated on this board, so if you want to discuss this further with more details, send me a pm.

Since we can relate re: the metal bracket thing, I can tell you that having braces as an adult is a lot easier (for me) to deal with since I have ceramic brackets.

Jen8626

#18 Post by Jen8626 »

Yes I've gone privately.... but forgive me I'm not having jaw surgery! Although I would've thought metal would still be a better choice rather than ceramic on bottom but I'm sure people do.

venom

#19 Post by venom »

i was given the choice of having braces privately and surgery on the nhs. i'm with a private dentist and she is refering me to her oral surgeon who does both nhs&private.