Tooth extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yhawks102

Tooth extractions

#1 Post by yhawks102 »

I've had my braces on for a little over a month on the top teeth only. About 3 days ago the ortho put spacers in the bottom and adjusted my top teeth.
He aslo asked me if I liked the shape that mouth was taking. My top teeth are pretty much already straight but now my teeth are flared out and he said that the bottom would most likely do the same. He said some patients don't mind the flaring and others don't like it. So in order to fix the flaring he would need extract 2 teeth from the top and 2 teeth from the bottom. He said that it was common and it would take about a year to close the gap.

Has anybody experienced this and if so do you have any tips for me?

kelly7

#2 Post by kelly7 »

I'm going through the same thing too. My teeth are starting to flare out also and I'm going to ask my ortho to do ipr instead of widening the arch too much on my next visit. The reason is that my arch was wide to begin with and I didn't want to do extraction. Recently I found some information on ipr (file the sides of the teeth to create space) and I'm going to ask him about it on my next visit. Maybe it is something you could ask your ortho if you do not want extraction. Also did you realize the change on your face when your teeth was widened, it made my cheek really sunk in and my cheek bone sticking out a lot.

yhawks102

#3 Post by yhawks102 »

Thanks for the info I didn't even know something like that was an option :) I haven't really noticed a change like that to my face, but then again I have always had a pretty bad overbite.

Bekah

#4 Post by Bekah »

I had that problem before my braces went on and my bottoms were crowded so I had the 4 teeth extracted. It took about 6 months for the gaps to close completely.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

gracey82

#5 Post by gracey82 »

Your cases sounds familiar. I wear braces becox I dont like how my teeth flare out, both upper and bottom and I want them to be little straighter.

All of the orthodontics I consulted (4 of them) advised me to extract teeth. I knwo its not going to make significant change on my face profile if I dont extract but I insited not to extract my 4 teeth. I choose to do IPR (inter proximal reduction) to gain spaces. I have big teeth, so my orthon able to gain enough space to retract my teeth to the way I want)

So against all will and odds, 8 months down the road, my orthon look at my teeth and agreed finally, yeah you dont need extraction after all, I'm able to straighten your teeth with the IPR.

So there goes an option for you, if you dont like the idea of extracting healty teeth.

VA5

Re: Tooth extractions

#6 Post by VA5 »

yhawks102 wrote:I've had my braces on for a little over a month on the top teeth only. About 3 days ago the ortho put spacers in the bottom and adjusted my top teeth.
He aslo asked me if I liked the shape that mouth was taking. My top teeth are pretty much already straight but now my teeth are flared out and he said that the bottom would most likely do the same. He said some patients don't mind the flaring and others don't like it. So in order to fix the flaring he would need extract 2 teeth from the top and 2 teeth from the bottom. He said that it was common and it would take about a year to close the gap.

Has anybody experienced this and if so do you have any tips for me?
My advice is.. if the flaring bothers you and if you feel self conscious b/c it affects your speech or your smile, then consider it. If the flaring isn't noticeable to you or others so much and you can close your mouth w/o a problem (some people have a problem closing it all the way, with a dimple on your chin kind of look), and the flaring adds to your good looks (think of Julia roberts.. she wouldn't be the same actress w/o her flared toothy smile, in my opinion) then you can get away with ipr for sure. I think I was borderline in many ways, but it bothered me enough that I have no regrets getting extractions. I know that for me, the ipr wouldn't have done enough and i would have been half heartedly happy about the results. It would have satisfied me to an extent but I'd probably always say, what if they retracted more, darnit. My ortho told me I'd feel that way, and I agree. It's just how I am. So, it really depends on your situation and how much your teeth bother you. Good luck on your decision!

yhawks102

#7 Post by yhawks102 »

Thanks everyone for sharing ur experiences and advice.

VA5....you hit it right on! The flaring is very noticable to me and def makes me self conscious. My top teeth are already straight even though I've only been in braces a short time, but if the flaring is the "side effect" I'm not happy. And like you, I would always think "what if".

However, I'm glad to know that there is an alternative to extraction. So now I can have that conversation with my ortho and make an informed decision :D

I see him next week! So I'll keep everyone posted, lol!

VA5

#8 Post by VA5 »

yhawks102 wrote:Thanks everyone for sharing ur experiences and advice.

VA5....you hit it right on! The flaring is very noticable to me and def makes me self conscious. My top teeth are already straight even though I've only been in braces a short time, but if the flaring is the "side effect" I'm not happy. And like you, I would always think "what if".

However, I'm glad to know that there is an alternative to extraction. So now I can have that conversation with my ortho and make an informed decision :D

I see him next week! So I'll keep everyone posted, lol!
Glad to have helped a bit... don't think too much what others say, is another opinion. I have many friends who say i didn't need braces at all. And I'm like, well.. you didn't have to live with my teeth. And get this.. I had one ortho give me a consultation that I didn't need braces at all.. he was missing out on $5000 to tell me that I was beautiful enough the way I am (haha). !!! I was like, are you friggin kidding me? It bothers ME and you refuse to give me braces? I was thinking of all the alterior motives he could have had to refuse giving me braces, and I still can't think of one. The point is, no matter what he was trying to talk me out of, he didn't succeed at all. And after the fact.. getting braced and getting extractions, again, no regrets at all. So, to each his own. I wanted to add that 10 years ago I almost got braces with only ipr. A personal situation prevented me from going forward, but I am so grateful that I didn't go through with it. For my case, extractions was the only way to go to fix my toothy mouth. Good luck in your decision and honestly, go with the option that will fix your teeth enough so that you will be the most satisfied! Everybody's mouth and personal preference is unique!