Biting Issue

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amy

Biting Issue

#1 Post by amy »

So this is a little weird, but I keep biting myself, namely my tongue. I have a crossbite that is slowly shifting and since being braced last week I keep biting my tongue. It's not a huge problem when I'm awake, but while asleep I seem to periodically clench my teeth. I wake up with bite marks ringing my tongue and this morning with a huge welt from biting so hard.

My bite has shifted enough that my teeth are knocking against each oddly and it hurts to bite down all the way anyway. This is just one more added pain.

Anyone dealt with something similar? Any ideas?

ashesgap

#2 Post by ashesgap »

YES! The first two weeks were the worst for me. I was clenching and biting weird at night, and would wake up in the middle of the night with the worst pain. Then in the morning my tongue would be crazy sore. But after those two weeks i was able to change how i closed my mouth while i was sleeping. If i'm stressed (vacation at the inlaws was bad, lol) i clench more, so that was kind of painful. But not as bad as time goes by. You just have to wait it out, and try to fall asleep with your mouth open a little, yes you'll drewl, but it helps. If anyone knows what kind of mouth guard would help, that would be great too.
Good luck.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

grev

mouth guard

#3 Post by grev »

just bought a night guard at cvs tonight brand is sleep right , they have a website splintek.com, will try this tonight to see if it helps with my girinding

Skysi

#4 Post by Skysi »

I remember when i first got braced, and as i was falling asleep i noticed that my tongue would rest heavily on the back of my lower (front) teeth, and it would hurt! so i had to reshift my tongue so the weight wasn't predominantly leaning on them.

Also caught myself clenching my jaws as i slept. Would then keep my mouth closed but teeth not touching.

Oh and that unconcious biting motion that happens when we fall asleep, ouch, i remember where my cross bite was getting shifted, that hurt so much i would get jolted awake.
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

jambo532

#5 Post by jambo532 »

totally. It is better now... although I still do it occasionally. Weird how your mouth changes and the suddenly you just adjust to it.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com