Sensitive Teeth. Ouch!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leannaaker

Sensitive Teeth. Ouch!

#1 Post by leannaaker »

I had 2 sensitive teeth prior to braces. They had both been investigated, and x-rays did not reveal a problem. I was sent away with some fluoride varnish.

Well, the past few days, one of them has been acting up *bigtime.* Cold makes it throb, hot makes it throb. I've read of sensitivity during braces, so I'm hoping this is typical, and not a weak tooth from before finally giving in.

I already use toothpaste with Novamin, and sometimes prescription fluoride toothpaste. I also use a fluoride rinse in my Waterpik. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Jewles

#2 Post by Jewles »

In periods during my treatment I had to brush my teeth with luke warm water, and I couldnt open the freezer because the cold air hurt too much!! It took a good few months to stop, but eventually it did as im sure yours will :)

Theresa48

#3 Post by Theresa48 »

5 days in, I am having some sensitivity on a few places that make it so I can't get near them with a tooth brush! I'm giving it time, but will bring it up at my next appt in 7 weeks. I use senodyne, water pic, etc...I want to keep my gums!!!!

Lisablueeyes1

#4 Post by Lisablueeyes1 »

How crazy is it with all these changes are teeth are going trough. I
over the last couple of weeks I've been going trough the same with a few of my teeth being very sensitive.. I thought I had a cavity! Uggggg 2 years of this.......

Smiles77

#5 Post by Smiles77 »

I didn't have any sensitivity issues before braces. But a year into braces, i can't drink any cold drinks, must use lukewarm water to rinse teeth, etc.

I did have one tooth get really sensitive after 3 months where even room temperature water was extremely painful and it needed a root canal. I had the same problem with another tooth a few months ago and thought oh no, here we go again. But the x-ray came back okay and so they took some of the pressure off that tooth and it slowly got better (maybe took it a couple months).

If they took the x-ray it was okay, it should hopefully pass.

yoginbraces

Sensitive Tooth

#6 Post by yoginbraces »

I received my braces today and am experiencing the same problem....ONE VERY SENSITIVE TOOTH. It was very painful to brush today. The sad thing is everything else is fine except for this one tooth. I hope it will go away because I don't think I can tolerate this level of pain with every brushing. I have an appt w/ my ortho tomorrow to see whether there are any problems with the xray.