Proper brushing technique?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yoginbraces

Proper brushing technique?

#1 Post by yoginbraces »

I suffer from receeding gum issues so I want to make sure I am brushing properly.

Is it best to brush in a circular motion at a 45 degree angle toward the gumline, or at a 45 degree angle away from the gumline?

I use a child's toothbrush for my morning brushing and after meals, and at night I use my Braun electric toothbrush (w/ extra soft head).

I especially want to make sure I am using my electric toothbrush properly as it has the most force.

Also, I plan to start using a waterpik soon but am afraid the force from the water pressure will irritate my already sensitive gums.

evilnel

#2 Post by evilnel »

http://www.fryorthodontics.com/media-link.html

If you scroll down there is an instructional video called brushing with braces. I think that should answer your question. The important part is making sure you get under the wires to get all the excess food under there so you don't form plaque in a place that's hard to clean.

Theresa48

#3 Post by Theresa48 »

the waterpic is key...it does nothing to your gums....the scrubbing will, so take it easy.

I just got a sonicare, was recommended for my sensitive gums, some receding...I only use it at night, and the soft brush for the rest.

So freaked out about my gums too!!!

yoginbraces

#4 Post by yoginbraces »

I brush using very light pressure, and my flossing is done well... but my main concern/question is what angle I should hold my toothbrush (for both manual and electric)??? I have always used a circular motion at a 45 degree angle brushing away from my gumline but I've seen online instructional videos showing the proper method is to brush toward the gumline (which seems to stimulate the gumline more) or back-and-forth brushing (which I always thought was a no-no?)

Does anyone know which of these is considered the proper method?