Need recommendations for a good juicer -- please help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yoginbraces

Need recommendations for a good juicer -- please help!

#1 Post by yoginbraces »

My braces have been on for exactly one week and while I have been adapting well to my new journey I have been unable to eat vegetables and I miss it!

I can give up a lot of things but I can't give up veggies even for a few days so I've decided to invest in a good juicer.

Because they are so expensive I don't want to buy one only to find out there was a 'better' one I should have purchased.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you!

b

#2 Post by b »

Why dont you drink V8?
Your teeth wont be sore forever, so I'm not sure its worth investing that much money in a juicer (in my case anyways)
Spacers in Aug. '09
MARA without elbows on Aug/09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Elbows for MARA in Feb. 25/10
Braces off August 26, 2010!
Essix Retainers

my story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33571

b

#3 Post by b »

although I should point out, I've been seeing commercials for the bullet express. Its an awesome food processor/mixer that comes with a juicer attachment! I want one!
Spacers in Aug. '09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Essix Retainers

b

#4 Post by b »

although I should point out, I've been seeing commercials for the bullet express. Its an awesome food processor/mixer that comes with a juicer attachment! I want one!
Spacers in Aug. '09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Essix Retainers

yoginbraces

#5 Post by yoginbraces »

Thanks for the reply! I have been wanting to get a juicer for a long time so this isn't an investment for braces only... the braces have just given me an opportunity (or an excuse) to seriously look into it.

Steph in Sac

#6 Post by Steph in Sac »

The VitaMix is by far the best I've tried. It is pricey, but will last forever. You can by a refurbished one to save on the cost. We bought one for ourselves and three for family members and they all work great. You can throw in chunks of fruit and make a lot of juice at one time. You can also make some outstanding soups!! We also have the Magic Bullet and though it works for small cups of juice, you have to chop the fruit pretty small. I use that mostly for milkshakes or the like--not fruit smoothies. It just depends what your need is.

Steph in Sac

#7 Post by Steph in Sac »

The VitaMix is by far the best I've tried. It is pricey, but will last forever. You can by a refurbished one to save on the cost. We bought one for ourselves and three for family members and they all work great. You can throw in chunks of fruit and make a lot of juice at one time. You can also make some outstanding soups!! We also have the Magic Bullet and though it works for small cups of juice, you have to chop the fruit pretty small. I use that mostly for milkshakes or the like--not fruit smoothies. It just depends what your need is.

yoginbraces

#8 Post by yoginbraces »

Thanks for your reply! Is the VitaMax good for veggies? I love fruit juice as well but my main reason for wanting to get a juicer is to make fresh veggie drinks (mixed w/ little fruit). Thanks again for your recommendation.

Theresa48

#9 Post by Theresa48 »

Yes, Vitamix is where it is at!!!

You could get away with any 'high speed' blender, but vitamix is the best one...also, Champion Juicers are pretty awsome, but I like the Vitamix. Why? Because you can put anything in there and it will liquify (sp?) it, seriously....that way you get all the fiber and nutrition instead of just "juicing" your veggies.

When I first got my braces a long 17 days ago or so, I blended everything for almost a week solid....I still can't eat anything hard, and I don't like to cook the he#@ out of my veggies, so this is a great alternative! Look into some "raw" cookbooks and websites for some really good recipes.....Also, whatever everybody is eating, you can just throw it in....seems a little weird, but when you are hungry, tastes like heaven!!!!!

Steph in Sac

#10 Post by Steph in Sac »

Yes--both veggies and fruit work great. And yes, it isn't a "juicer" you get the whole fruit or vegetable in the juice.

yoginbraces

#11 Post by yoginbraces »

Thanks Ladies!! Vitamix it is! Do you recommend I buy directly from the website or another source? I'll do a bit of research as well while I wait for your answers.

On another topic, what's interesting about getting braces at this stage in life is I am suddenly taking everything I do more seriously. I want to eat better, exercise more, all of these things that I approached casually before I see differently since getting braces.

I think it's an age thing too. It's either now or never!

Blessings to all of you taking this journey with me. I hope it has been a 'gift' of sorts for you as well. : )

Steph in Sac

#12 Post by Steph in Sac »

We bought all three of ours from the website (refurbished if they still offer that). I would suggest some research because I don't know if there is a better deal or not. You won't be sorry!

I can completely relate to using this experience to better ourselves. I have done the same. I have lost 14 lbs and now have a steady exercise routine. I eat healthy now and feel better all around. Braces were just the push/excuse I needed, I think. I am now ready for bathing suit season and all thanks to my braces (or newly found will-power).

Best of luck on your quest for the VitaMix!