Poll: At What Age Did You Get Your Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

At What Age Did You Start Your Current Orthodontic Treatment?

18 to 21
15%
22 to 29
36%
30 to 39
29%
40 to 49
13%
50 to 59
6%
60 plus
1%

Total votes: 2072

Kei

#61 Post by Kei »

I'm 30 and I just got mine about a month ago.

Growing up, my parents asked me once if I wanted them. I declined because I was being bullied at school and I didn't want to give the bullies any more fodder. My parents never asked me again.

Now that I am all grown up, I learned that my dental insurance covers $3,000 lifetime for ortho and so I figured I either use it or lose it. Since my treatment costs just under $4,000 I can easily afford it now and there was really nothing stopping me from getting them.

I like my braces. My husband thinks I look cute and I like knowing that I am making a prettier smile. Plus they make great conversation starters. The number one response I get from other adults is that they are jealous and wish they could get them too.

Mimi31

#62 Post by Mimi31 »

I'm 31, and I'm so glad I'm doing this. I didn't want another year to pass by with me still thinking of doing something about my smile. Wish I'd done it when i first discussed it with my dentist last year, but better late than never!

macadamia

#63 Post by macadamia »

I just got my braces on my upper teeth this past Saturday. I am 43 years old, will be 44 in July. As a kid, I used to stick straightened paperclips in my mouth to act like I had braces. I have always had relatively straight teeth, however, a bit crowed on the bottom in the front. I also have a slight overbite. Now, as an adult, I have the insurance plan and the means to have these things corrected. I'm glad I finally took the plunge.

jadestar

#64 Post by jadestar »

I got mine when I was 27 and will have straight teeth before I'm 30. :D

lilfoot1112

#65 Post by lilfoot1112 »

I got my in one month after I turned 26 and its still the best thing I've done! even tho I had some major bumps in the road but Im on the right road now and that all that matter :D maybe before I turn 29 these puppies will be off :D

I had my braces on for 3 years 4 months and 24 days that would be a grand total of 1220 days

sdilley

#66 Post by sdilley »

I'm 31 and have had braces for about 2 months. I'm happy that I've started this journey, even when my cheeks are getting poked by wires and my teeth are sore. I've always had a jacked up smile with moderate crowding up front. I have been, however, been blessed with strong teeth. And after some intense cleaning, I have healthy gums again. My dentist is a friend. He reccomended braces, so I might have an easier time cleaning my teeth. I started thinking how nice it would be to have a straight smile. And so the journey began...

alimommy1

#67 Post by alimommy1 »

I had my braces originally when I was 20, but now it's been about 13 years since. I have a new retainer with some springs for the top and I've been looking into the idea of an inman aligner for the bottom - unless a retainer alone can correct flaring. It's hard to explain really, and I still have a bonded retainer on the bottom anyway, it's lasted 13 years :D

My complaint is probably a combination of relapse and the fact that I don't think my lowers were ever pulled back enough. It's not bad, my teeth still look mostly straight but I can tell where they aren't based on photos from when I first had my braces off 13 years ago. I don't think I want invisalign because I'm hoping for something that takes less time but is still removable, and cost is another factor. A new retainer, even an activated one - isn't very expensive. While I was reading the thread about aligners, they seem to be more expensive, yet a cheaper option than invisalign. I guess I'll ask my ortho about invisalign AND other options when I see him at the end of June.

Rebeccaty9

#68 Post by Rebeccaty9 »

18 :)

Jay04

#69 Post by Jay04 »

26. I'm getting them in 2 days! :P
Braces Removed - 14th July, 11
My Braces Story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35442

Crimsonjonas

#70 Post by Crimsonjonas »

I was 31 when I became a brace face. LOL!

Ever since I was a teenager I knew that I would need to have braces one day, but due to finances and eventually just forgetting about it, I never acted upon it. Last year I had to have a tooth pulled and it was at that time that I made the decision to improve my teeth and do what should have been done almost 20 years ago.

Now I am loving the process of seeing my once crooked teeth become straight and nice looking once again. I can actually look in the mirror now and not want to hide my smile.

1fifthmiles

#71 Post by 1fifthmiles »

Hey got mine when i was 14.

sisi

#72 Post by sisi »

I was 35-36 - they are due to come off very soon.

I would be lying if I said that my age didn't make it a more challenging experience than it needed to be (probably due to my own feelings). While most people were polite about them I felt self-conscious when I smiled/laughed or I met someone I hadn't seen in a while.

I cannot honestly say that I like having them or that I will ever be totally comfortable with them on my teeth.

It has been a journey and I learned a few things about myself and others.

I really admire the people on this website who say that they are proud of them and love flashing their smile. :D

HHKiwi

#73 Post by HHKiwi »

Im 36 and was braced in May 2010. Am relieved to have finally started the journey and have had only a few fleeting moments of "Why???" but all the members stories here have been inspiring and definitely helped. I've also convinced my Aunty and Uncle to get my 16 year old cousin to an ortho as hes a shy kid and hasnt been complaining but I know his teeth bother him big time.

onefastchick

#74 Post by onefastchick »

I am 32 and will be getting braced in 5 days
[/url]

Click on the WWW for my story!

Spacers 6/7/10
Top brackets 6/15/10
Bottom brackets ?

sadpanda

#75 Post by sadpanda »

I'm 29 1/2 and just starting my orthodontic journey. Dentists have told me I've needed braces since I was nine, but my mom didn't want to pay for them. I only have a little crookedness and a gap. My main problems are an overbite, an overjet, and jaw alignment problems. I have to pay for the braces on my own because I have no insurance, but I've wanted braces for so long, I think it will be worth it. I'm getting traditional metal braces and think I'll be more confident about smiling when they're on than with my bare teeth. :tingrin: