Advice about extractions? 2nd time with braces...3 months in

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anakaren152

Advice about extractions? 2nd time with braces...3 months in

#1 Post by Anakaren152 »

Hi everyone...I have not posted in a while, sorry about that :( I got my braces back in March for a second time. I think my teeth have been moving quite a bit, but my ortho keeps asking when am I going to have my extractions done. I have been thinking about the extractions for the time I have had braces. Honestly, I'm scared and I think I don't want to go through with it. He wants extractions of 4 teeth (premolars I think they're called?) The reason he wants me to get teeth pulled is to fix some of my lip incompetence, slight open bit, and push everything back. He says my mouth is protruding and the only way the fix it is by extractions. I really want to trust my ortho (he's been dealing with my teeth since I was 8 years old), but I don know if I can. I am worried about the results in the end. I'm worried that I am not going to be happy. I just want my teeth to be the way they were when I was 16.

They say it's really up to me to get extractions done. If I don't do it, I can get my braces off in a couple of months. Since my parents are paying for re-treatment, maybe I should go all the way with the extractions. I don't want them to be spending their money for nothing. I really don't know what to do. I have been freaking out about it.

After getting my braces, I have become EXTREMELY self conscious. I do not go out as much, and the extractions would not make the situation any better. I am studying abroad starting this Fall semester, and I don't feel comfortable with 4 large gaps in my mouth being overseas. I am also worried about my lip thickness. If I get extractions will my lips be smaller in the end????!!!!!

Does anyone have any advice or comforting words? Either will be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics of my teeth before and 3 months in treatment.

catgyrl

#2 Post by catgyrl »

First off, I think you have beautiful teeth! So white! I'm jealous... haha

My opinion: I would trust your orthodontist and go with the extractions. If you've been with him since you were 8, I doubt he'd do anything to you to make you look bad. From looking at your last pic, you do still have a bit of an overjet, and I can see where extractions may help with that.

I've seen pictures of people who have had extractions, and you could never tell anything was done. I, myself, also had to get a premolar extracted (top, left) so my front teeth can be pushed over and back, and honestly, after the first couple of days, I completely forgot about it. As for others noticing - had I not called their attention to it, they wouldn't have noticed, either. Your lower ones probably won't show at all when you smile, and the upper ones are far back enough to not show.

I don't know whether or not your lips would look smaller after the extractions; did you ask your ortho?

You really shouldn't let your braces hold you back socially. I may be a freak, but just knowing that I'm doing something to help myself has made me MORE confident, and I smile even more than I did before. I even mention my braces to people... who, I've discovered, really don't give a darn about them! Two years is a long time to not have a social life, especially for someone so young (I'm just assuming you're young. I'm 42.)

Like I said, this is just my opinion. You have to do what will make you happy.

Good luck to you, and please keep us posted! :D

-Cathy

jackjack

#3 Post by jackjack »

I had to have my 4 bicuspids removed and I was really nervous in the beginning and unsure if it was necessary and I worried how I was going to look. I actually get my braces of in one month and my mouth has changed but for the better! My mouth protruded a little and I had lip strain. I always just noticed my crooked teeth, but now I realize how much better my profile and face looks. My friend actually had her bicuspids out to fix her mouth and profile, her teeth were pretty straight before treatment. Your teeth look good already! But maybe your ortho is looking at the whole picture. My ortho told me he didn't want me looking like a horse!! The decision is up to you though. Good luck in whatever you decide :wink:

missann

#4 Post by missann »

My ortho told me he didn't want me looking like a horse!!
that was what my ortho said to me too!
I made my decission of doing the extractions, and I am still closing the gaps, and my teeth straightened fast, but my lips protuded yet, so I hope I will end with a better profile when my gaps will close.
Have you got a picture of your profile with your lips closed to see how much protude?

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

I can't see any issues from the pics you posted.
Do you like your facial profile? or do you want it changed and your mouth pushed in?
Your teeth themselves look great the way they are right now.

Anakaren152

#6 Post by Anakaren152 »

thanks catgyrl and jackjack for the compliments :]

Um...I never had a issue with my facial profile other than my nose :lol:

I asked my ortho if having all those extractions would affect my profile. He said "You will look better, and the changes are more dental than facial."

This is how my teeth were when I was 16 (I'm 18 now) and this is my goal.

I will post the pictures of my lip incompetence and profile tonight. Thank you all for your thoughts so far :]

UGHBRACES

#7 Post by UGHBRACES »

The amount of relapse you have had looks minor.. Did you have the lip incompetence back then?

jackjack

#8 Post by jackjack »

thats funny you mention your nose. my nose has gotten smaller after my extractions. kinda like a free nose job lol. honestly your teeth look good already. and if you like how your face looks right now then really think about it!

missann

#9 Post by missann »

jackjack wrote:thats funny you mention your nose. my nose has gotten smaller after my extractions. kinda like a free nose job lol. honestly your teeth look good already. and if you like how your face looks right now then really think about it!
really? OMG! i hope mine too! :) have you posted before and after pics?

lfwood

#10 Post by lfwood »

Get a second opinion.

My story - had braces when I was 13 for a year. Ready for debanding and then they decide that they want to pull some teeth (can't remember which ones) and leave me in braces for another 2 years. I say no way.

Fast forward 20 years. Teeth have shifted and I want them straight again. My current ortho applauds my decision not to get teeth extracted. It would've changed my profile dramatically for the worse. The best option for me this time was to have jaw surgery. For the record, prior to my surgery I never had a problem with my profile, but I did become more paranoid about it on my journey with braces this time.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you need jaw surgery, but you need to be sure that those teeth really need to come out, cause it is very hard to put them back in :D

Goodluck with your decision.

Braces 1st time 1986-1989
Braces 2nd time - January 2009
Lower Jaw Surgery (Advance)- January 14 2010

jackjack

#11 Post by jackjack »

missann, my story is under "brace stories" but i dont have any before after pics of my face. it hasn't got so much smaller in size, but skinnier if that makes sense. i like it

diesel

#12 Post by diesel »

I wouldn't do it if i were you. I had an overjet similar to yours, however pushing all the teeth back, lower and upper has changed my smile and face for the worse.

Anakaren152

#13 Post by Anakaren152 »

Hey sorry I haven't posted. I was having some trouble trying to upload some pictures, but here they are.

This picture shows how my gums kind of protrude. My ortho said it shouldn't be like that, it should be smooth.

This shows my lip incompetence. My lips look huge :lol:

This is my side profile (Well the best I could take due to I was trying not to show my whole face.)

I actually did go for second opinions before I got braced again. One ortho wanted to file ALL of my teeth and then get invisalign. (All the other orthos I went to know my ortho very well). Another ortho said he trusts my ortho's decision since he is one of the best in the area. I spoke to my dentist and said heck no to the filing all my teeth down and said it was better to just have the extractions....

Honestly I really really really DO NOT want to get extractions. I AM worried about my smile in the end. I just want it to be like before.

jackjack

#14 Post by jackjack »

Wow our profiles were pretty similar. Mine has changed a little and my lips are not as big as before. My lip would do the same thing too and I would get little dimples on my chin from my lip strain. What ethnicity are you? Anyways I can send you pics if you'd like. I know you do not want to get extractions and you are scared. I went through the exact same thing and I know it isn't easy.

UGHBRACES

#15 Post by UGHBRACES »

Ali Larter has lip incompetence as well and she is super sexy!! :D

I say you go without extractions and get the same result you had when you were 18. At least then you know what to expect.
Pulling 4 teeth and pushing everything back you won't know exactly what the result will be. But who knows, you may like it better that way. I guess it just depends on how much the incompetence bothers you..