Advice about extractions? 2nd time with braces...3 months in

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catgyrl

#16 Post by catgyrl »

The receptionist at my dentist's office (who happens to be his wife) told me yesterday that she also had 4 teeth extracted and braces as an adult, and you could never, ever tell by looking at her smile (which is BEAUTIFUL, by the way). I told her that I couldn't see how my ortho could extract just one tooth from my left side, and still line everything up properly. She just smiled that beautiful smile of hers and told me "Just trust the process, Cathy... it's amazing what these guys can do!"

My opinion is that because I've seen people with extractions end up with beautiful smiles, you should just do it and get it over with. There was someone else here on the boards who agonized over the decision, and once she decided to do it, does not regret it one bit. (Sorry, I can't remember the name offhand.)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. You're a beautiful girl to begin with, so I don't know what they could do to make you less beautiful. :D

-Cathy

Anakaren152

#17 Post by Anakaren152 »

Thanks everyone :]

I had an ortho appointment yesterday for my 3 adjustment. My ortho decided to give me until December to think about my extractions (when I come back from studying abroad), so I have more time. Either way I still don't want to do it, and he understands that I'm scared. He wants me to think of it like plastic surgery, the risks you have to take and hope in the end the desired result will be achieved.

I will keep in touch with my progress. :]

diesel

#18 Post by diesel »

It looks like you have lip incompetence mostly because you have braces on.

alimommy1

#19 Post by alimommy1 »

I agree with Cathy - 'trust the process' lol. I know that sounds kind of trite and silly but since you have already gotten other consults and opinions and you seem to trust your ortho since you've known him the longest, he probably knows the best course. He's the ortho that treated you the first time, right?

Have you asked if enough space can be created using IPR rather than the extractions to get the result you want? If you're that concerned about losing healthy teeth and changing your profile, some space can be made with IPR, I just don't know if it would be enough. I also dont know if that would address the lip incompetence either, but I just saw someone post that perhaps a lot of that has to do with the braces. Did you have lip incompetence WITHOUT braces on too?

One more thing - don't let braces hold you back socially. :? People let so many things hold them back and prevent them from having fun and enjoying life. When you look back, that's a regret you won't want to have. I have two grown kids so the mom in me feels I have to say that.

Osnapitsnikki

Re: Advice about extractions? 2nd time with braces...3 months in

#20 Post by Osnapitsnikki »

Hey if ur still active can u message me asap cause this is literally my exact situation. LITERALLY everything u said and i wanna see pictures! Thanks

BracesColombo

#21 Post by BracesColombo »

Hi I would like to see your progress if possible because I have thick lips, with lip incompetence and Dental protrusion and about to get braces for the second time with four teeth extracted.

BracesColombo

#22 Post by BracesColombo »

Hi I would like to see your progress if possible because I have thick lips, with lip incompetence and Dental protrusion and about to get braces for the second time with four teeth extracted.