A rant about comments regarding not chewing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Slipstreme

#16 Post by Slipstreme »

Hi everyone. I got my braces in last wednesday- complete with bite turbos and elastics to correct a huge overbite. My teeth don't even come near to touching- I can stick my tongue all the way to the other side with my bite closed. anyway, I completely understand the ignorance. I wish that I could stick bite turbos on people and say- ok, here, try eating.

The easiest things to eat are soups smoothies, hummus, yoghurt and potato salad if you mash the eggs up in it really well....

My problem is finding non sugar infested quick meals. I bought some ensure and then realized the second ingredient is sugar! ugh. I will probably start a new post for helpful food choices for us non biters....

anyway, good luck on your journey, and remember, you will most likely lose weight, so at least some good can come of it!

ashesgap

#17 Post by ashesgap »

Slipstreme wrote: My problem is finding non sugar infested quick meals. I bought some ensure and then realized the second ingredient is sugar! ugh. I will probably start a new post for helpful food choices for us non biters....
I think this is a great idea. A thread where we can post recipes for others, and talk about the foods that are easiest to eat. The first month of braces for me i was practically swallowing food whole because my bite was way off....and thats just not healthy.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

tashacash

#18 Post by tashacash »

It will be a week tomorrow since I've had my braces and I still can't eat solid foods. :(

My co workers seem to be surprised by this. It seems as though everyone that has had braces in the past started eating solid foods after a few days.

It still feels like the first day for me. I have no problem feeling my teeth when I bite however it feels as though I'm biting on metal or something. A feeling very hard to describe. And it hurts like hell. I aslo eat soo slooow.

How long should I feel like this before I worry?

Everyone keeps telling me it will get better. I just can't see myself getting used to this feeling I get when I bite down.

Tovin

#19 Post by Tovin »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input!

I got spacers today - but since Brace Day (May 26th 2010) I've broken two brackets trying to chew.

So it's back to soft foods until my bite adjusts, and learning not to care what people think - because taking care of my braces and my bite are why I am investing in this process.

Be strong guys! These few years out of our lives are worth it for a healthy and strong mouth!

sapphirerose924

#20 Post by sapphirerose924 »

I was fine eating with just my braces. Then I got buildups on the back of my two front teeth. Now, nothing touches but the buildups to the teeth below them. I was supposed to get a bite ramp eventually, but my TMJD flared badly, so the ortho put these in as an emergency measure. I really can't chew at all, and my facial muscles shake but all the joint pain is gone, so I suppose it is worth it.

I find soft fruit in fruit cups and bananas work ok because I can mash them with my tongue. Soups, lentils, soft cheese, yogurt, smoothies, etc. are good too. :ouch: