Braces week 2...when to call the ortho for wires poking out.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CherylCee

Braces week 2...when to call the ortho for wires poking out.

#1 Post by CherylCee »

I am only on week 2 of my braces and I can feel wires poking into my cheek on both sides. I guess this is a good thing and means my teeth are shifting but it hurts.

My question is: should I call the ortho and have the wires snipped or should I just put some wax on and suck it up for a month until my first adjustment. I dont want to be a giant baby and call them everytime I feel a poke. I am assuming everytime my teeth shift a bit this will happen and I dont want them to look at their caller ID and say "oh no its HER again"
:D

hal2me

#2 Post by hal2me »

Hi CherylCee,

It is okay to call the ortho to clip the wires. That has to be the most uncomfortable feeling. The wax does not stay on there that well. If you are uncomfortable or in pain, give them a call. They expect that.

One time the wire got so bad, I cut it myself using my mom's decorative wire cutters!

Good luck!

alimommy1

#3 Post by alimommy1 »

Call your ortho lol. I NEVER worried about being 'a big baby', if the wires were poking, I called.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

You're not being a baby. Orthodontists expect those kinds of calls and usually save space in their schedules to accommodate such "emergency" appointments. Suffer no longer; call them!

CherylCee

#5 Post by CherylCee »

All right I'll do it!! lol

Is anyone else having the "dry mouth" problem? It seems like the more I talk the dryer my mouth gets and I have trouble talking. My lips get stuck on the braces. :(

I must say I really like my braces and I cant believe it took me so long to get them. Cant wait for the final outcome.

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

CherylCee wrote:
Is anyone else having the "dry mouth" problem? .
I always have water with me and I found that sugar free Breathsavers help with the constant dry/wet mouth issue.