they're on- and I'm devestated :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

itsabouttime22

#16 Post by itsabouttime22 »

Thanks again for all the replies, while I will probably always be embarrassed of my braces, I also realize that they are now a part of me and I just have to learn to deal with them and keep living my life. I know I will be happy I did this in the end!

mary.

Be proud of yourself!

#17 Post by mary. »

Please, please don't be embarassed by your braces. It's a wonderful thing that you are doing for yourself and your health, you have every right to be proud! I had clear on the top and they are less noticeable than the metal ones. However, people will notice something on your teeth, expecially up close. Can't hide it and you should have to. The wires will have to be metal, I don't believe there are other kinds. I just know that you'll get used to them and learn to like them.

I found that with my braces, 99% of people's reactions stemmed from my own attitude. I was very nervous, at 39yrs old, getting braces. I had learned to try to hide my smile. I was worried how people would react to the braces and I was worried about the treatments. It was all for not! Then, I found myself so proud that I flashed a big smile to anyone who would look my way. When people would say, oh you got braces, I would respond enthusiastically with "yes, aren't they great. I'm so happy with myself for getting them finally". They all were then happy for me. I then noticed that my smile, which I used to try to hide, got huge. I'd get great compliments on my smile, even from people who didn't know me before braces. And, my confidence overall grew and grew. I will never regret getting braces. The treatments were just fine. A few sensitive days but nothing that was not manageable. I was eating normal food after a month. I just got my braces off and am delighted not only with my nice and straight teeth but with the big smile and confidence that I gained.

So, please be proud of yourself, be happy with what you are doing for yourself, and go ahead and let others be happy with you!

miggins

#18 Post by miggins »

I don't post, but I do lurk and I had to say that mary put it so well. Don't be embarrassed of your braces - you're going to be in them for a while and it's going to get really tiring trying to talk and smile without people seeing them. I was initially really self-conscious until my mother-in-law told me pretty much what I said above, so now people get a full on metal smile! So hold your head high and smile as much as you want. You're doing this for you and the results will be worth a few months of brackets on your teeth.