When will I be able to eat normally??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

itsabouttime22

When will I be able to eat normally??

#1 Post by itsabouttime22 »

Well, after my meltdown on Thursday after getting them on, I am starting to adjust to life in braces. My main frustration comes from eating- when can I expect to be able to bite down on soft foods and not feel pain and discomfort? I am having the hardest time, I hate eating and am pretty much on a liquid diet because I can't even bite down on a soft noodle or tiny piece of bread. I had my extractions done on Tuesday so I haven't had a decent meal in almost a week- I've lost 5 pounds and I'm already skinny so that's not good. I know everyone is different, but in your experience when should the pain when eating start subsiding? Thanks

onefastchick

#2 Post by onefastchick »

After a week I was able to eat soft foods after two weeks I was eating everything I was prior to braces except the foods on the no-no list, now at almost 3 weeks I feel like a pro and am even biting in to foods again instead of cutting it all up and eating bite size pieces... Hang in there it will get better
[/url]

Click on the WWW for my story!

Spacers 6/7/10
Top brackets 6/15/10
Bottom brackets ?

bracesrox

#3 Post by bracesrox »

On my tops I was able to eat normally in less than 3 days and I did as my ortho suggested and chewed gum no matter how much it ached. I think that was the key to mine. I had the bottoms installed on Thursday the 1st and I've not really gone to a soft food diet but more a things I can chew into small pieces that I can swallow because my top teeth hit my bottom brackets and I'm afraid I'm going to chip a tooth. I have 0 .. zilch bite now when I had a great bite before my braces. It will get better and try some sugarless gum to work that blood around your roots.
Radiance clear uppers and metal lowers
1st of 3 consultations = 3/11/10
Records & Such = 4/21/10
Upper Brace Day = 5/11/10
Lower Brace Day = 7/01/10

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have noticed that after initially getting the braces and after each adjustment, so far, the discomfort last about a week.

felicia

#5 Post by felicia »

About a week.

jxds

#6 Post by jxds »

for me it was about a week as well - I also thought my case would be different and I would never adjust but I did, even with those bite pads that prevented my teeth from touching each other.

However, keep in mind that while you are braced you will always have to keep your braces in mind when eating, so you must be carefull all the way thorugh
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

llehsal

#7 Post by llehsal »

I'm almost a month in braces and can still barely bite down on soft foods. Everyone is different I guess....I dont feel the piercing pain I had before, but its no where near comfortable. It does get better though :)

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

javamama

#8 Post by javamama »

I was wondering the same thing. It has been exactly a week since I got braced, and had my extractions done on the same day. Im sure that has added to my pain but I cant bite down on anything and even chewing gum is painful. I hope it gets better, I sure miss food!
★ 26 years old, mama to 2 boys ★
4 Bicuspids extracted 6/28/10
Braced on same day 6/28/10

hal2me

#9 Post by hal2me »

It was about three weeks for me. My front teeth are really sensitive, so it was hard to bite into food for a while. Like you, I lost about 10 pounds. Once you can eat normal, it will come back.

Good luck!

DrBlur

#10 Post by DrBlur »

About a month for me...now I eat anything except for the forbidden foods
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

yoginbraces

#11 Post by yoginbraces »

My threshold for pain is terribly low unfortunately and I was able to resume normal eating in about 10 days. Initially I gained weight b/c all the healthy, crunchy foods I normally ate were replaced with rich, high calorie soft foods (including cheesecake every night!) but now everything is back to normal. I can even eat crunchy veggies, apples, etc. so long as I cut into smaller bite sized pieces and chew with my back molars. I've been in braces a little over 6 wks. Btw, I never thought I would be able to eat normally again but I did.

yoginbraces

#12 Post by yoginbraces »

P.S. I also never thought I would be able to bite into sandwiches or pizza but I can, so now I enjoy eating just as much as I did prior to braces.

itsabouttime22

#13 Post by itsabouttime22 »

thanks for the responses- its good to know this won't last forever! I am definitely eating many soft foods now- my teeth still get a little sore but it is getting more tolerable. My biggest problem now is getting food stuck in my extraction holes!

Theresa48

#14 Post by Theresa48 »

Two months in and I still can't bite into anything like a sandwich etc. I have just adjusted to overcooked veggies and cutting things up really small. Unlike you, I was thrilled to lose weight, but am concerned about nutrition. Home made smoothies do the trick! You can get some protein powder to put in to amp up the calories!

I pretty much have accepted not being able to eat most foods. Even if I could bite into anything I would probably skip it so I don't get food in my braces...yuck!

Mashed potatoes!!! Also, blend everything...