Can I please eat popcorn?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

itsabouttime22

Can I please eat popcorn?

#1 Post by itsabouttime22 »

I know it is on the "forbidden foods" list, but it is my favorite snack ever and its been 3 weeks since I have had it! As long as I'm careful- is it ok if I eat it once in while? Has anyone had any major issues from trying to eat it?

ashesgap

#2 Post by ashesgap »

I eat popcorn all the time. The biggest problem is flossing afterwards and getting all the hulls off my teeth and gums. I have heard that there are types they call "hulless" and those just have thinner shells.
Just be careful for seeds and hard spots.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

jackjack

#3 Post by jackjack »

Becareful if you have molar bands. One time a piece got caught under one of my molar bands and it got so swollen and infected that they had to take off my molar band for it to calm down and heal. Probably set my treatment time back a bit too.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I've eaten popcorn throughout my treatment and lucky have suffered no ill effects.

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

TumbleDryLow wrote:I've eaten popcorn throughout my treatment and lucky have suffered no ill effects.
Me too.

NYG2007

#6 Post by NYG2007 »

Try the Hulless kind. Utz is a great brand. Click below:
http://www.utzsnacks.com/store/p-60-utz ... -corn.aspx
Braces worn for 2 Years 4 Days

Blog: http://nygbracesjourney.blogspot.com/

itsabouttime22

#7 Post by itsabouttime22 »

Thanks for replying- I did have some, I just ate it really slow and avoided the pieces that weren't popped all the way! I actually had an easier time eating popcorn than half the other food I try to eat!

yoginbraces

#8 Post by yoginbraces »

Thanks for asking this question!! My friend who had braces about 15 years ago has forbidden me to eat popcorn when we go to the movies. Now I'll show her that I can eat away w/o harming my treatment.

Now if I can only figure out a way to have red vines again I will be in heaven.

:lol:

felicia

#9 Post by felicia »

I eat popcorn...I eat anything that you're not supposed to eat while in braces.
I believe that as long as you don't chew like crazy, you can eat anything you please.

alimommy1

#10 Post by alimommy1 »

I ate popcorn... and never recall having any emergencies from it. I think as long as you're careful, it doesn't hurt to eat SOME things that might be on a 'forbidden' list. I think those lists are designed with younger patients in mind who aren't even going to THINK about being careful or eating something in moderation instead of daily. Also, it still perplexes me somewhat to see how some orthos absolutely forbid gum and others send you home WITH gum. Mine was one that encouraged chewing gum, sugarless and nonsticky of course.