NEED HELP!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

38Illinois

NEED HELP!

#1 Post by 38Illinois »

Day number 2 with braces and a quad helix. I am 38 and feel I made a mistake. I can not speak or eat with the quad helix. Also my front teeth are sore. Please help.......

sjs8906

#2 Post by sjs8906 »

Hello!

I do not have a quad helix but I do have an RPA (to turn with a key). The first several days I felt as though I may have made a mistake also! I found it impossible to talk or eat anything that wasn't liquid. However, it will definitely get better! I've had my expander in a little more than a week now and my speech is virtually back to normal and I have no trouble eating. Food does get stuck very easily but I suppose that's something I'll just have to deal with.

I would take some over the counter pain medication for the soreness, it should go away soon.

Good luck!

38Illinois

#3 Post by 38Illinois »

SJS -

Thank you so much for the post. I really need to reassurance now.

Miserable in Illinois

sjs8906

#4 Post by sjs8906 »

You're welcome! I really do hope it gets better for you quickly!

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Just about everyone goes thought the "what the hell have I done phase". But this phase will pass quickly. Trust me.

I had a quad helix. They take some getting used to, but you will get used to it. Things will get better as the days go by. Keep taking Advil as needed, rinse with salt water, and hang in there.

My prediction: You will feel loads better in a week.

kaylaa

#6 Post by kaylaa »

It has been 18 days with my braces, quad helix AND bite turbos. It does get better. During the first four days it was the worst. It felt like my tongue was going to be rubbed off. I put wax on the quad helix and it made such a difference.

I still have a lisp, but that is from the bite turbos. Eating does get easier, you just need to stick to soft things for now :) if you have any questions, shoot me a pm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

38Illinois

Quad Helix

#7 Post by 38Illinois »

Thank you guys for the positive thoughts on the quad helix. I have put wax on the front coils and it has helped. But the bars running to the back coils feel sharp as a knife! Its hard to believe the point when I wouldn't notice this lawn chair in my mouth. I just hope I can talk normal soon. Thanks again!!!!

Backstreets

#8 Post by Backstreets »

Hi 38Illinois,

my "what have I done to myself" phase lasted about 2 months - so, hang in there. You can do it!

I am 37, 5 months into treatment and I can tell you - I am sooo happy that I am doing this!

miggins

#9 Post by miggins »

I was braced on a Friday afternoon. By Sunday, I remember lying in bed thinking "tomorrow I'm phoning the ortho and having these things taken off, this was a huge mistake!". But that was 19 months ago and now I'm so pleased I stuck it out. I hope your mouth eases soon. Mashed potato and protein shakes did it for me!

38Illinois

#10 Post by 38Illinois »

When back to the ortho today to have a wire clipped and told him about the issues I am having with the quad helix. He was very very undstanding and adjusted the appliance to fit my mouth better and also said if it wasn't better in a few days come back and he will put arcylic on the coils to increase comfort. I was very impressed with his genuine concern and actions.
Braces on July 31, 2010
Braces off November 1, 2011

VA5

#11 Post by VA5 »

It gets better. Everybody will say the same thing. For me it did take a few weeks b/c I had extractions too. Everything takes adjusting: eating, talking, etc. Everything is almost normal except that food gets stuck all over your braces and I really hate that part, and also the fact that I'm still self conscious smiling and talking, and it's been over 1 1/2 years!!! That part is probably more me than anything. But in terms of comfort, pain, etc... it subsides and you will feel back to normal very soon. I ate a lot of ice cream and shakes and soups.

wired nana

#12 Post by wired nana »

I now have a lisp at age 56 due to my lower lingual arch. So far no one has commented on it, so I just try to ignore it. It's actually pretty fuuny at times...I answer the phone at work, and one of the words in the business name is Specialties. Try saying that fifty times a day with an applicane in your mouth!