Adjustments and sores in mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

appygirl82

Adjustments and sores in mouth

#1 Post by appygirl82 »

It seems every time I get an adjustment I ofcourse have the obvious tooth soreness/pain due to bigger wires etc...but I get sores all over my mouth again. Its as if they are new again, my lips and cheeks are just all tore up and lots of sores.

I dont understand why this would happen? Nothing has changed other than getting larger wires....any ideas?

:oops:

macgirl4ever

#2 Post by macgirl4ever »

I've only experienced this with my last three adjustments. I had minor oral surgery (a frenectomy) and the inside of my mouth has gone heywire. I get horrible canker sores and nothing seems to prevent them. What I've found helps, however, are salt water rinses and avoiding things like oranges and orange juice. Many times, I get the sores in places where wax is not at all helpful but when it is, it is of enormous relief.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Justiz

#3 Post by Justiz »

I just went in for another adjustment yesterday and my mouth is all tore up today and it hurts like crazy. I don't really understand why this happens. I now even have a part of my cheek that keeps getting caught in the new wire which makes matters worse :(

Spurfy

#4 Post by Spurfy »

My mouth gets all torn up after adjustments because the orthodontist people tear it up! They push and pull and prod all over the place to get their tools in there and don't seem to realize that there are nerves and flesh in the way. I have a huge sore on my cheek as we speak from getting pinched.

miggins

#5 Post by miggins »

My take on this is that when you have an adjustment, your teeth shift a little and your mouth has to get used to moving in a different way. For months when I ate and sometimes when I talked, I would pinch a tiny bit of skin on the inside of my bottom lip between my upper and lower brackets which caused an ulcer to form almost immediately (very sore). Plus with a wire change, the wire might be in a slightly different place so your mouth has to go through the toughening up process all over again. I often used to bite my tongue and when I got elastics, my cheeks were sliced to pieces. For me, wax didn't really work, so I use sugar free baby teething gel (Bonjela mainly). I put a load on before I go to bed and most times, the sores have pretty much healed by the morning.