Already braced -- still on fence re: extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yoginbraces

Already braced -- still on fence re: extractions

#1 Post by yoginbraces »

I've been in braces going on 7 wks and I'm still trying to determine whether to get extractions or not. The 1st ortho I saw said I needed them. The 2nd ortho said it wouldn't be necessary and that he could do IPR between the teeth to achieve good results so I went with the 2nd ortho. Well, now that time has passed I can't get the 1st ortho's opinion out of my mind (btw, the 1st ortho came highly recommended by my dentist who did his braces).

Anyway, now that I'm in braces the last thing I want is to be disappointed with the final result....but I'm also afraid of having extractions unnecessarily (esp. at age 45!)

What are some of the downsides of extractions vs. not having them? Were any of you in a similar position? If so what did you decide?

Btw, my ortho says that my total treatment time will be 12 months more or less. Initially I thought this was a good thing but now I'm thinking it's because the teeth can only shift so far w/o extractions.

Any feedback you have is much appreciated.

almost50

#2 Post by almost50 »

Get another opinion if you are still on the fence.

Even if you have to pay for the consultation it seems like the peace of mind would be worth it.

(I opted for no extractions but every situation is different.)

UGHBRACES

#3 Post by UGHBRACES »

Just ask your ortho if he expects that this non extraction route will give you an uncompromised result.

yoginbraces

#4 Post by yoginbraces »

I decided NOT to do extractions. At age 45 my ortho believes it may make my mouth droop prematurely. He started IPR yesterday and already I have seen some shifting. I think I will be very pleased with the end result.