Why do so many people seem to be charged for a consult?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alimommy1

Why do so many people seem to be charged for a consult?

#1 Post by alimommy1 »

Were you charged for your consult(s)? Maybe it's just because I live in the US, to me it seems odd. Every single consult I have ever had has been free, and many offices advertise a free consult and a followup to discuss your treatment plan before you begin.

Not only have I never been charged for a consult, my daughter's consults have always been free too, and all of the followups so far. I also discovered quite by accident that my friend - who went to my ortho for a consult and treatment - somehow has to pay for her office visits?! I don't! I wonder why that would happen. Do any of you have to pay for each office visit? I thought adjustment visits were included in your treatment plan. I've never had an ortho tell me he or she charges per visit, everything has been included in the fee paid for the braces or appliances when I started treatment.

macgirl4ever

#2 Post by macgirl4ever »

When I was a kid, my parents paid a copay for each adjustment. We had excellent insurance- Blue Cross paid for the whole thing but my parents had to pay for each office visit (and if I broke a bracket or needed to have other things fixed because I was negligent).
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

BraceFace2o1o

#3 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I have paid for both my consultations so far (the first with Ortho number 1 was £100 GBP and the one with Ortho number 2 was £130 GBP).

2nd Ortho knocks the consultation fee off the overall treatment cost if I go ahead (1st Ortho doesn't do this, the consultation is charged on top).

No charges for future visits/adjustments.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Why do so many people seem to be charged for a consult?

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

alimommy1 wrote:I also discovered quite by accident that my friend - who went to my ortho for a consult and treatment - somehow has to pay for her office visits?! I don't! I wonder why that would happen. Do any of you have to pay for each office visit? I thought adjustment visits were included in your treatment plan. I've never had an ortho tell me he or she charges per visit, everything has been included in the fee paid for the braces or appliances when I started treatment.
I thought the same too and haven't heard of people having to pay at each visit. I always thought that kinda stuff was included in the total price :?.
I was made aware that everything (appliances, retainers, appointments etc) will be included in the price I pay for treatment.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

Maybe there is lots of competition in your area so the orthos wave the consult fees to get you in the door.

I paid $70 for my consultation. As for why they charged it? I don't know, I guess because time is money and they can.

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

My initial consultation was free. The ortho examined me, looked at my teeth, studied my profile, explained what he could do...did a bunch of things.

My treatment plan consultation (of course after my molds and xrays were taken, which were also free), was $85.00. They told me the costs involved and the treatment plans available to me.

I can understand the fee involved with the treatment plan consultation because they have to write up the plan and do whatever it is they do. This takes time and they should be paid for that time.

If all of these consultations were free, they wouldn't make any money. Especially if the patients decide not to get treatment. So I have no problem being charged for the treatment consultation.

I have seen other posts where in addition to the treatment plan total, they pay money at each visit...I am so glad my ortho does not charge like that.

Actually, after reading about other ortho's on this board, I am very happy and lucky to have my ortho. I don't know why some people put up with some of the stuff they do.

fosterp

#7 Post by fosterp »

Its just different styles of business. Theres a cost benefit to everything in the business. Some may feel that the cost of free consults will drive in more business, and also allow them to get away with charging higher fees. Others may feel the cost of giving away free consults doesn't pay off in more customers.

The cost of the consult is made up for in higher fees, and if the volume increase is significant it is made up just by reduced marginal operating costs because of a higher volume business.

VA5

#8 Post by VA5 »

I wasn't charged a consultation fee either. I don't think they should either. People go to consultations to see if they are candidates for braces, and to see if they'll like the ortho. The ortho should also view this visit as an advertisement for their services. I firmly believe an ortho will make more money having free consults too. Unless everybody in the area charges a set fee. But around here, nobody does. All my consults were free, and I went with the person who was more in jive with what I wanted out of an ortho. One ortho I went to actually told me not to get braces b/c he didn't think I needed them, which I thought was really weird b/c I thought all orthos were out to make money. Anyways, that is kind of off topic.

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

VA5 wrote:I wasn't charged a consultation fee either. I don't think they should either. People go to consultations to see if they are candidates for braces, and to see if they'll like the ortho. The ortho should also view this visit as an advertisement for their services.
Good point!

NervousNewbie

#10 Post by NervousNewbie »

My consult was free. My total was $5500 and everything including office visits and adjustments are included. The only thing which is not included is if I do something which requires an additional, out of the ordinary visit - like, break a bracket, have a wire come loose, etc. Something unscheduled, basically.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

venom

#11 Post by venom »

i was charged £190 , was only there for 15-20minutes.

VA5

#12 Post by VA5 »

NervousNewbie wrote:My consult was free. My total was $5500 and everything including office visits and adjustments are included. The only thing which is not included is if I do something which requires an additional, out of the ordinary visit - like, break a bracket, have a wire come loose, etc. Something unscheduled, basically.
This is different than me too. I don't have to pay for any of these kinds of visits, they are all just part of the entire ortho treatment. I'll be interested to hear if others have to pay for a broken bracket, loose wires, etc.

ckdramas

#13 Post by ckdramas »

I had to pay $350 Cdn for my consultation which included x rays, photographs, analysis, etc. provided to me in 2 separate visits. The entire braces package cost over $7000. The papers I was provided me says if the braces are damaged, they will charge extra.

Snowglobe32

#14 Post by Snowglobe32 »

VA5 wrote: I'll be interested to hear if others have to pay for a broken bracket, loose wires, etc.

If I break more than 3 brackets, I am charged $35.00 for each repair after the 3rd. So far, I have only broken one (I was at the 3 month mark when it became loose). No charge for loose/poking wires.

VA5

#15 Post by VA5 »

Snowglobe32 wrote:
VA5 wrote: I'll be interested to hear if others have to pay for a broken bracket, loose wires, etc.

If I break more than 3 brackets, I am charged $35.00 for each repair after the 3rd. So far, I have only broken one (I was at the 3 month mark when it became loose). No charge for loose/poking wires.
I think that sounds very fair. I suppose for broken brackets, they are implying that you are mostly at fault for that occurence. It would make you more careful about the things you eat, etc. I don't think brackets would just magically fall off on their own, for the most part.