Why exactly is it that flossing with braces is so important?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blackapple

#16 Post by blackapple »

Oddly enough I go through floss like it's toilet paper. Sit every night with my mirror at my vanity flossing and inspecting the floss for residue after I run it along each tooth and gumline. Was so traumatic and painful with dealing with teeth that had a dying nerve that I vowed not to put myself in that predicament again if I can avoid it. Tooth pain is really the worst pain as there is really no way to bandage it once it gets going. Not like having a sore leg or arm. If flossing is going to keep me out of this predicament I gladly will spend 15-20 min doing it a day.

WebDevGirl

#17 Post by WebDevGirl »

I *hate* flossing and *never* do it. And my teeth haven't suffered for it
haha i used to think the SAME THING but about BRUSHING as a kid and you can imagine how well that turned out for me. Just because teeth look healthy doesn't mean they are. Lots of problems can lurk in the gums or on the teeth below the gumline.

Lynette

#18 Post by Lynette »

To be honest I had never really flossed until about 2 and a half months ago.

Sure I knew about it, but I just didn't know it was that important because no dentist had ever mentioned it in my 22 years of existence until 2 and a half months ago.

Now I pretty much floss every night with Oral B Superfloss :D

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

Ionika

#19 Post by Ionika »

i've heard about flossing and i used a Floss Pick- device, before braces..
after, my Ortho suggested Oral B superfloss... it's a hudge difference and i'm going to stick to it after braces ...

and before, i had a very hard time flossing because my extremely tight spaces and overlaping teeth in my lowers...now they are almost straight and i cand see a lot of difference in time spent flossing..it's a dream now :)

Theresa48

#20 Post by Theresa48 »

There's no substitute for flossing!

I will confess, I went to bed without flossing a few times just because I was soooooo tired and didn't feel like the hassle of braces flossing, but took care of it in the morning.

I have started flossing earlier, or after dinner just so I am not too tired to floss right before bed.

Loztredders

#21 Post by Loztredders »

Haha, yes I know I shall have to start looking in the mirror to floss when I get braced. at the moment I can't even figure out how the whole flossing with braces thing works, I have a feeling it's going to take me hours to floss!! Lol

poppy123

#22 Post by poppy123 »

ho wdo u floss with braces on? the floss wont pass the wire

BraceFace2o1o

#23 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

poppy123 wrote:ho wdo u floss with braces on? the floss wont pass the wire
I have heard of floss threaders, I'm going to be investing in some when I get my braces. They help you get the floss above/under the wire.

Or there is a type of floss with a stiffened end to get through the teeth at the gum line, I think it's called Oral-B SuperFloss
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

poppy123

#24 Post by poppy123 »

thanks chrystal. Yeh floss with a stiffened end (!) would do the job. im gonna get some this weekend. Ive been told to use interdental brushes - like tiny pipe-cleaners that you brush all around each bracket with and the smallest ones go in between your teeth too

UGHBRACES

#25 Post by UGHBRACES »

poppy123 wrote:ho wdo u floss with braces on? the floss wont pass the wire
Here is a link to a good youtube video on flossing with braces:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_JSmlrmhfU

Also, a threaded tip is not really necessary. It just makes it easier to drop the floss between the brackets. However, once I got the hang of it, I had no issues dropping the tip of regular floss(crest glide is what I use) in between the brackets and then floss like normal. Threader floss gets pricey and putting a piece of regular floss on a threader is a PITA.

VA5

#26 Post by VA5 »

I never flossed before i had braces, and now i regret it. I see why I had so many cavities growing up, for example. Although I know part of it is genetics, but I'm sure not flossing didn't help. And yeah, there is so much food and crap in between your teeth, it's really quite gross not to floss at least once a day.

But anyways, yeah.. as soon as you realize you have so much stuff in between your braces and other junk on your teeth, you'll never feel good about not flossing before bed!

WiredRunner

#27 Post by WiredRunner »

I'm in love with these:
http://www.dentakit.com/flfltoforbr.html

No more threaders! 8)
Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011

BraceFace2o1o

#28 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

WiredRunner wrote:I'm in love with these:
http://www.dentakit.com/flfltoforbr.html

No more threaders! 8)
I have some of these and will give them a try once I am in braces. I was lucky enough to receive mine for free which is a bonus! :D
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

venom

#29 Post by venom »

is there anywhere in the uk that sell these flossfish?

sadpanda

#30 Post by sadpanda »

I think dentakit.com sells floss fish. They also have Sturdyfloss which is that floss with the stiffened end. It's great, but it still takes a long time to floss. I usually give up after a while, even though I shouldn't.