More to a face than teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seriousthinker

#16 Post by seriousthinker »

Wow, thanks everyone for your replies. They have made me feel much more positive. I feel like I was having one of those days but my consulation today went so well and I'm ready to go. I just need to gather the funds for the upfront payment and I'm going for it.
Chrystal wrote:Hey seriousthinker, how did your consultation go? I hope it went well
Hi Chrystal, I went in feeling quite nervous and was put at ease straight away. The orthodontist seems very nice and down to earth with professionalism too. The office is v smart. He talked me through everything he was doing and answered all of my q's even though I went in there not knowing what to ask. Took pics, multiple x-rays and moulds.

I have been quoted 2300 for ceramic uppers only (I choose between clear with clear bands or self litigating which have a bit of metal visible but don't stain) with a down payment of 700 followed by 250 at each visit. He said I have no overjet and my bite is good, no extractions which suprised me but he may decide that I need micro something where they take off 1/4mm from the side of teeth to make a bit more space and he said 12-14 months sentence which I would e delighted with. I liked him so much that I don't think I'm going elsewhere. How did your consultation go?

ST

hazel

Re: More to a face than teeth?

#17 Post by hazel »

Hi serious thinker! Hope your consultation went well! I think that your thoughts are perfectly natural...I went through the same thoughts myself until finally after years of thinking about getting my teeth fixed I finally realised it was about time I decided. However because I was concerned about what people would think, I only got my lower teeth braced. I was very shy smiling in public during the first few days I was wearing the brace, but now after almost two months I really don't mind if people see it and I feel good about myself for finally doing it. So far I only heard a negative remark from a hideous thirteen year old who told his friend that I had a guitar in my mouth! But I laughed this comment off! During my last adjustment I told my orthodontist I would like to get the mild crowding on my upper teeth fixed too even though they never bothered me like my lower teeth. I shall be getting self ligating ceramics....which I expect would be less visible than my metal lowers....so maybe still some concern about how I look...but as to you, I think you're still young at 25.....I see many twenty somethings in braces!! So good luck and try not to waste more time thinking about it.....It took me about ten years to finally decide....so that means ten years looking in the mirror and seeing my crowded, crooked teeth when I could have flashed a beautiful smile!Goodluck! :D
seriousthinker wrote:Hi,

I have my first consult tomorrow, yay, eek!! It has got me thinking (serious thinker, thinking, what??? Lol).

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask but I feel that because my imperfection has haunted me most of my life, it is far more obvious to me. My teeth are crooked, no doubt about it, but do I feel people looking at them more than they actually are? I ask this because right now I'm worrying that rather than the beacon I feel I have in my mouth at the mo drawing attention, braces are going make that 10x worse :(

Do people really notice/care if they see braced teeth or am I blowing it out of all peoportion by dreading it. I just feel like once they're off I can be normal, better than normal even.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense.

ST

seriousthinker

Re: More to a face than teeth?

#18 Post by seriousthinker »

[quote="hazel"]Hi serious thinker! Hope your consultation went well! I think that your thoughts are perfectly natural...I went through the same thoughts myself until finally after years of thinking about getting my teeth fixed I finally realised it was about time I decided. However because I was concerned about what people would think, I only got my lower teeth braced. I was very shy smiling in public during the first few days I was wearing the brace, but now after almost two months I really don't mind if people see it and I feel good about myself for finally doing it. So far I only heard a negative remark from a hideous thirteen year old who told his friend that I had a guitar in my mouth! But I laughed this comment off! During my last adjustment I told my orthodontist I would like to get the mild crowding on my upper teeth fixed too even though they never bothered me like my lower teeth. I shall be getting self ligating ceramics....which I expect would be less visible than my metal lowers....so maybe still some concern about how I look...but as to you, I think you're still young at 25.....I see many twenty somethings in braces!! So good luck and try not to waste more time thinking about it.....It took me about ten years to finally decide....so that means ten years looking in the mirror and seeing my crowded, crooked teeth when I could have flashed a beautiful smile!Goodluck! :D

Hi,

The consultation was great thanks. Written about it a couple of posts up ad with lack a orthodontists in my area it was a huge relief as the next one is 20 miles away and being a full time mum with 2 children, one in half day school and the other a toddler distance is a big issue.

I was shown self ligating and ordinary ceramic braces today and I'd say that from a novice point of view they were half way between metal and ceramic with ligs. I think I'll choose them anyhow because the staining of ligs puts me off. I love curry, italian and tea and feel like I'll be sacrificing enough as it is.

ST

BraceFace2o1o

#19 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

seriousthinker wrote:
Chrystal wrote:Hey seriousthinker, how did your consultation go? I hope it went well
Hi Chrystal, I went in feeling quite nervous and was put at ease straight away. The orthodontist seems very nice and down to earth with professionalism too. The office is v smart. He talked me through everything he was doing and answered all of my q's even though I went in there not knowing what to ask. Took pics, multiple x-rays and moulds.

I have been quoted 2300 for ceramic uppers only (I choose between clear with clear bands or self litigating which have a bit of metal visible but don't stain) with a down payment of 700 followed by 250 at each visit. He said I have no overjet and my bite is good, no extractions which suprised me but he may decide that I need micro something where they take off 1/4mm from the side of teeth to make a bit more space and he said 12-14 months sentence which I would e delighted with. I liked him so much that I don't think I'm going elsewhere. How did your consultation go?

ST
Hi ST

I am really glad it went well and you feel happy with the Orthodontist… that's just what you need! I felt the same with the Ortho at my 2nd Consult.

So you have no bite issues and will need no extractions, that is really great! Lucky you :D… I went in thinking I only had crooked teeth but afterwards learned I had a deep overbite and will then have an overjet, I was kinda shocked :lol:

So you are only going to be having your upper teeth corrected?

I have the 2nd part of my 2nd consultation next week. I decided not to go with the first Ortho. If all goes to my liking with the 2nd Ortho on the 18th I will be going ahead and booking a date for the fitting.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

em26

#20 Post by em26 »

I havent got them yet, but will soon. I have just conditioned myself into thinking I'd rather people notice them and think ok at least she's investing in herself and doing something about her teeth rather than wonder WHY i havent got them yet?

:)

seriousthinker

#21 Post by seriousthinker »

Chrystal wrote:
Hi ST

I am really glad it went well and you feel happy with the Orthodontist… that's just what you need! I felt the same with the Ortho at my 2nd Consult.

So you have no bite issues and will need no extractions, that is really great! Lucky you :D… I went in thinking I only had crooked teeth but afterwards learned I had a deep overbite and will then have an overjet, I was kinda shocked :lol:

I have the 2nd part of my 2nd consultation next week. I decided not to go with the first Ortho. If all goes to my liking with the 2nd Ortho on the 18th I will be going ahead and booking a date for the fitting.
Hi,

Yep top ones only. I'm a bit nervous about the filing between teeth but I'm very pleased that no extractions are planned.

They could fit me in a little earlier but we have a family party to attend in nov too and I chickened out so I can eat what I ant and not feel sore. My date is 25th November. Scary. I'm going for self ligating brackets.

Also, I filled out some paperwork saying i would comply with not eating chewy foods, fizzy drinks etc. and he went through what the treatment includes. Had I wanted to wait I could have gone back in 6-8w and filled it in but he said he never gets patients to fill it out on fitting day so it would have been pushed back even further. I dodged part 2 of the consultation.

Good luck for the 18th!

BraceFace2o1o

#22 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

seriousthinker wrote:
Chrystal wrote:
Hi ST

Hi,

Yep top ones only. I'm a bit nervous about the filing between teeth but I'm very pleased that no extractions are planned.

They could fit me in a little earlier but we have a family party to attend in nov too and I chickened out so I can eat what I ant and not feel sore. My date is 25th November. Scary. I'm going for self ligating brackets.

Also, I filled out some paperwork saying i would comply with not eating chewy foods, fizzy drinks etc. and he went through what the treatment includes. Had I wanted to wait I could have gone back in 6-8w and filled it in but he said he never gets patients to fill it out on fitting day so it would have been pushed back even further. I dodged part 2 of the consultation.

Good luck for the 18th!
Hi,

My Ortho said no extractions but didn't mention IPR... maybe I will have some of this too. I hope not on the front lower teeth though, I feel they are rather thin already!

I know what you mean because I have been considering putting off getting them fitted until after Christmas LOL so I can eat all that yummy food without worrying about breaking anything... but I think I'll end up just getting them before if the Ortho can fit me in.

I would have dodged part 2 of the consult too, and kinda wanted to. But I still have questions I need answered before I sign any contract etc, once that's all done I'll be on my way.

Thank you!

seriousthinker

#23 Post by seriousthinker »

It won't be long for either of us. It sounds silly but I was thinking I could either spread my 14m over 2 xmases or leave it longer and it would just be the one. Crazy. Also, too late now because I am not cancelling for anything.

I had shrimps on v hard toast as a starter out a week ago. Maybe my last time in a loooong time. I do enjoy pasta so hopefully I can enjoy that soonish. I am not a fan of sloppy soup at all though. I like rustic soups with crusty bread lol better so may just get used to swallowing huge lumps of it.

kieran

For What It's Worth

#24 Post by kieran »

This has always helped me (found it years ago):

We wouldn't worry so much what other people think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Good luck.

BraceFace2o1o

#25 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Chrystal wrote: Hi,

My Ortho said no extractions but didn't mention IPR... maybe I will have some of this too. I hope not on the front lower teeth though, I feel they are rather thin already!
Well IPR may very well be in my future. He mentioned it at my appointment today... I was hoping he wouldn't :lol:.

I know it doesn't damage the teeth, but I just have a fear that some of my front teeth will look too thin/skinny and long :? . Oh well, he has to make room some how I guess :D