How many times a day do you brush?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

How many times a day do you brush?

#1 Post by luchababe »

I'm really curious because I'm finding conflicting advice online.

I brush 30 minutes after breakfast, 30 minutes after lunch and 30-60 minutes after dinner (I give myself some extra time in case I want dessert!). Since my last brushing includes a floss and is usually only 3-4 hours before bedtime I don't brush again before bed. I'm still fresh and if I haven't ate or drank anything besides water, what's the point?

3 times a day sounds good, 4 starts to sound excessive. I don't want to loose any enamel by brushing too much and I certainly don't want food floating around my teeth.

jensceana73

#2 Post by jensceana73 »

I brush 3 times a day also...of course...my ritual takes FOREVER, but I've heard you really shouldn't brush more than that.
I have heard though, through my ortho....that you can/should if you have a sonic care brush twice at one standing, to make sure to get each and every tooth. (Since it shuts off at 2 min, and it might take longer to do each tooth) So I do the 2 min with the Sonic Care and then I manuly brush (just a quick once over) just to make sure each tooth got hit. It's amazing how braces have made me much more aware of my brushing and oral hygeine. DA!!! Were spending thousands on these puppies!!!!
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

In the morning I use my Oral-B then a kids brush for the top and bottom of the brackets then the RediBreeze. Then after any eating anytime during the day I use the RediBreeze (like a WaterPik). Then at night I floss, RediBreeze, Oral-B, kids brush, two sizes of proxabrushes, RediBreeze again then Listerine.
Its a lot of work, but i think it'll pay off in the end. I'm 100% sure I won't have any of those sad little white spots all over my teeth at the end of treatment.
The kids brush is great for those back bracket that have the elastics hooks, which are sometimes hard to get under.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Are you brushing for as long as 30 minutes? :o

Or is your actual brush time averaging 2-5 minutes but equals 30 because of flossing etc?

I brush in the morning, after lunch, a quick brush after dinner( especially now since I have elastics or if I go out) and I do the full routine, floss & waterpik, before bed.

luchababe

#5 Post by luchababe »

Snowglobe32
- I should clarify! I brush 30 minutes AFTER eating my meals.

ashesgap - That sounds like a lot of work! You're really going all out keeping your teeth clean. How is your enamel holding up, has the dentist or hygienist made any comments?

jensceana73 - I've seen a lot of mention of Sonicare. I might have to investigate it. But if my manual works well I might stick with it for a while.

I'm starting to think it's all about the person, their teeth, how they brush, how often they brush, how well they brush and what they use. We're all different to one thing will work or not work differently for someone else. I'm getting overwhelmed by it all!!

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

I'm not scrubbing my teeth as hard as i can. lol. It just sounds like a lot when i have to type it all out.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Lynette

#7 Post by Lynette »

I brush 3 times a day:

1. After breakfast using Colgate whitening toothpaste and then I use Colgate Plax Alcohol Free mouthwash.

2. After lunch using Colgate Total. If i'm not at home and don't want to brush in public, I just use one of those little pick brushes to get any food caught in my braces out.

3. Around bed time. I brush with whatever toothpaste is closest, use Colgate Plax Alcohol Free mouthwash and floss with Oral B Superfloss.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

poppy123

#8 Post by poppy123 »

same as lynette...

luchababe

#9 Post by luchababe »

Cool. Sound like the majority of answers will be 3 times.

I can't floss in two spots because the brackets are really tight against the adjacent teeth. I mentioned it to the Dr. and he said it'll come in time. I'll just regard that as a great way to see my teeth move. Once I get floss in there, I'll know things are happening.

yoginbraces

#10 Post by yoginbraces »

I do a light brush in the morning before going to the gym.

After eating breakfast I brush well, using a proxybrush to remove food particles and then a thorough brushing and rinse with listerine (no flossing).

After lunch I repeat what I do after breakfast but w/ no mouthwash.

After dinner/before bedtime I do the same thing except I brush very carefully and then I floss well and my final step is using the anticavity rinse Flosphur.

So all in all I brush 4 times a day and floss only once (at night).

Each time I use a different brushing technique so I don't overdo it.

VA5

#11 Post by VA5 »

Gosh you all are very thorough.

I think I brush only two times a day to be honest. I find myself eating or snacking almost all day (no kidding) so there would be no good time to brush during the day. I usually brush right before I go somewhere, but not always. I'll definitely brush if I'm going to the ortho for a visit, and out with friends, things like that. Otherwise during the day, it's so much hassle b/c I know I'll be snacking on something right after again.

Maybe this is a reflection of my really poor eating habits more than anything. Hm.

yoginbraces

#12 Post by yoginbraces »

Yes, everyone is thorough on here but not me. :) I just kinda brush more or less when I think I need to. Definitely when I wake up, after I eat bfast, after lunch and then before bedtime which is always the hardest for me bcuz I am so tired and flossing adds another 10 to 15 minutes if I do it well. I haven't purchased an electric toothbrush nor will I get one of those waterpik things. I'm sure they work well. I just can't imagine adding more steps to my routine so I figure I'm doing "good enough" which suits me okay.

VA5

#13 Post by VA5 »

I regret buying an electric toothbrush b/c I find that manual toothbrush works better. However, I have to say that the waterpik is a good investment. It really cleans junk out in between your teeth very well and especially if you ever get powerchains or coil springs, etc... it's almost impossible for the toothbrush to get it out. And, the waterpik takes only a minute to use, if that. During the day, I might do a quick waterpik after a brush if I'm going out somewhere to meet friends.

yoginbraces

#14 Post by yoginbraces »

That's a good point about powerchains. I am now wearing "double" powerchains on each row (I just had them put on today) so maybe it's time I invest in a waterpik. There are so many models it seems. Which one do you like?

luchababe

#15 Post by luchababe »

It's so neat to see every one's different habits. One habit I think I'm starting is brushing after dinner but flossing and mouthwash before bed. That way I can eat a snack in the evening and not have to worry about flossing AGAIN. I can do a light brush if I've eaten.