Double powerchains and elastics -- oh my!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yoginbraces

Double powerchains and elastics -- oh my!!!

#1 Post by yoginbraces »

Today I had 'double' powerchains put on and am now wearing elastics (triangle) and my teeth are KILLING me, especially my "I" tooth on the left side where the elastic is hooked.

I also had a serious round of IPR done today and that was difficult and painful.

I know this will get better but right now I am in the worst pain.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to vent.

Thanks for listening. :-)

VA5

#2 Post by VA5 »

It should be all good pain though :) That's the good news..

I've never heard of double powerchains.. are you using elastic powerchains? The kind I have are the metal coil powerchains... I have no idea what they are called though.

I have not heard that ipr is painful... did you get a lot of teeth done? I am hoping for some small amount of ipr to reshape my teeth at the end..

yoginbraces

#3 Post by yoginbraces »

I don't know what kind of powerchains they are but they put two on each row so I have two on top and two on bottom. I had IPR done before (this is my 2nd adjustment w/ ortho) and the first time was a breeze. No pain whatsoever. This time he shaved into my gum area to create a flush line. And yes he did many teeth probably the 8 to 10 teeth that show when we smile. But I survived it. But after all of that work plus the elastics my mouth is really aching.

I should point out that I am having IPR bcuz I didn't have extractions so my shaving is probably more than most. I believe this is it for me though. He may need to shave a bit at the end but nothing like he did today.

But no pain no gain, right? :)

RedDress

#4 Post by RedDress »

yoginbraces wrote:I don't know what kind of powerchains they are but they put two on each row so I have two on top and two on bottom. I had IPR done before (this is my 2nd adjustment w/ ortho) and the first time was a breeze. No pain whatsoever. This time he shaved into my gum area to create a flush line. And yes he did many teeth probably the 8 to 10 teeth that show when we smile. But I survived it. But after all of that work plus the elastics my mouth is really aching.

I should point out that I am having IPR bcuz I didn't have extractions so my shaving is probably more than most. I believe this is it for me though. He may need to shave a bit at the end but nothing like he did today.

But no pain no gain, right? :)
yoginbraces, hope you feel better.

That is what I am planning on (IPR to treat my overjet). At least for now, before my ortho got the Suresmile model from the lab. my teeth are pretty strait, it is my overjet and deep bite. that bothers me most. I am now really concerned about the effectiveness of the whole treatment. I do have one rotated tooth at the bottom and one misaligned on top, but that I could have fixed with Invisalign (would have been much cheaper too).
So I got braces to fix my bite mostly. Not sure if I get away without extractions . I read on another tread, this was what you were uncertain about.
I posted my pictures somewhere here.
Have you posted any pictures here?

Did you have IPR done on the front teeth only? you say 8-10 - does that include bottom teeth?

yoginbraces

#5 Post by yoginbraces »

I don't have any pics (camera broke) but sounds like we have the exact same issue. My teeth were essentially "straight" but my main concern is/was overjet/protrusion. I also had one tooth rotated on the bottom and, as a result, one tooth out of alignment on top. Miraculously the tooth on the bottom straightend w/in days of getting braces. The tooth on the top is still out of alignment but it's not really noticeable to anyone but me. In other words, it is very minor and even if it doesn't correct itself I will be satisfied.

Also, I had IPR done on both top and bottom teeth. My 1st adjustment was Aug. 25th when I had my first IPR and my 2nd adjustment was today. The first round wasn't a big deal at all. I literally felt nothing. Today on the other hand was far more intense but it was well worth it.

Now the elastics.....wow.....that's another whole story. They are pretty darn painful. I expected it this however so I'm trying to roll with it.

RedDress

#6 Post by RedDress »

yoginbraces wrote:I don't have any pics (camera broke) but sounds like we have the exact same issue. ..
sounds familiar - one rotated at the bottom and one misaligned just above it on the top :D . They put a spring on the bottom to expand my lower arch. but only on one side. NOt sure if it makes sense. And they have not yet put a wire on that rotated tooth. I am sure it would take hours for it to rotate. Overall my lower teeth are pretty mobile )).
yoginbraces wrote:Also, I had IPR done on both top and bottom teeth. .
were your bottom teeth big enough? I won't let them shave my bottom teeth. They are tiny.

yoginbraces

#7 Post by yoginbraces »

My teeth on top were ginormous :) so IPR was not an issue at all. In fact, I was grateful for the reshaping. The bottom teeth were "normal" sized but I was still able to have IPR w/o the results looking too tiny. That said, I don't want any add'l IPR done bcuz of the size issue.

If I were you I would trust that your ortho would give you the best symmetry possible but definitely make sure you talk it out with him/her first so you will know exactly what the goals are and that they are consistent with what you want.

The thing about IPR is once they shave we can't get the tooth back.

On a side note.... I was just looking at my smile this morning and it's MUCH improved than just the day before my adjustment but in a weird way I know I will never have my old ginormous teeth back and it feels kinda weird.

My point of bringing this up is that as much as we all want that "perfect" smile most of us here have lived with our imperfect teeth for so long that they identify us to a large degree. So while I am happy for the change I see I am also happy I still see an ever so slight overbite and toothy smile.

yoginbraces

#8 Post by yoginbraces »

P.S. for VA5....

My powerchains are in fact the elastic type. They weaved one across the top of my brackets, and then weaved another around the bottom of my brackets. This was done both on the top and bottom arches.

Also, I should mention, I feel a TON better this morning.

In fact, I'm heading out for a little jog right now which last night I never thought I would be able to do so soon.

Have a great day everyone and thanks for your support yesterday. I really needed it..... :)

GeenBug

#9 Post by GeenBug »

Are Double Powerchains the same as "Class 2 powerchains"? Anyone know?

Braced: June 24, 2010.

Snowglobe32

#10 Post by Snowglobe32 »

GeenBug wrote:Are Double Powerchains the same as "Class 2 powerchains"? Anyone know?
I don't think so. Some people wear two powerchains at a time on the same teeth. I have never heard of that phrase.

Class II usually refers to bite and elastics. Each class has a different configuration for which teeth the elastics are connected to.