NHS - Waiting List Length?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

revelvia

NHS - Waiting List Length?

#1 Post by revelvia »

Hi,

I'm aware it will probably depend on area, but I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how long they were waiting on the NHS? (I'm over 18 but I'm getting the braces for free because they're alongside jaw surgery)

I've just had the moulds done so I'm presuming that means I'm somewhat near? Or am I way off?

BraceFace2o1o

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi revelvia,

I am not sure if you have seen this thread (viewtopic.php?t=37593)... but someone else who is over 18 and having a brace on the NHS made a thread, and basically they have been waiting over a year so far, by the looks of their posts (but I am not sure if they have had their molds etc yet).

How long since your referral to your impressions?

If you know where you will be receiving treatment, maybe you could ring, too... and see if they can tell you roughly where you might be in terms of waiting.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Larah

#3 Post by Larah »

Hi there, it took me 2 and a half years from first seeing a consultant at the hospital (which included moulds being done) to actually getting the braces on my teeth. Hopefully it wont take you as long!

Larah

#4 Post by Larah »

Oh but I must add that I had moulds when I first got referred to the hospital but also had moulds done again about 8 weeks before my braces (I had forgotten about that) so perhaps you are somewhere near???

bubsy08

#5 Post by bubsy08 »

Thats my thread above.
I have not had any molds done, all
I have had done is xrays and 4 teeth taken out on my bottom jaw under general anaesthetic, i went back 4 weeks after having the teeth out and they had another examination and they said i am ready for braces, i waited 2 months and did not get an appointment so rung them up and they said there is a waiting list of about 12 months.

Kittykins

#6 Post by Kittykins »

I was only reffered to a hospital after I needed a tooth out. It took 3 months for my to get the appointment with a surgeon. Then she mentioned braces. So this took till a month later to see an Ortho. Then I got a pre op appointment/pre brace (moulds of mouth) appointment 9 months later. 1 week later had operation to remove some teeth. 2 weeks later had spacers fitted. 1 week later had bottom and top braces fitted. So all in all took about a year-year in a half waiting :) All NHS aswell and I'm 18 currently so luckily was referred at 17 (while still in education) so got it for free :)

11/11/10 - Got Braces (Top and Bottom) - Green Ligs
21/12/10 - First Adjustment - Bright Pink Ligs
01/02/11 - Second Adjustment - New Wire - Bright Blue Ligs
15/03/11 - Got Elastics 6.4mm to twist twice on both sides
10/05/11 - Got Power Chains and elastics both sides
21/06/11 - Power Chains on bottom, elastics on right hand side