power chain question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ryan91

power chain question

#1 Post by ryan91 »

Ok, today, I happened to feel a pain in the back right hand side of my mouth, and upon looking at it, it appears that over one bracket, my wire has slipped out of the power chain and then reconnects correctly at the bracket afterwards, so essentially, the power chain band is sitting above the wire at one tooth, then it connected properly at the tooth after.

Is this a cause for concern, or will everything be ok ?

Snowglobe32

Re: power chain question

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I don't get how this is possible...are you sure it is a powerchain or it is a ligature? Maybe I am confused. If it is a pc, you can take it off and put it back on.

ryan91

#3 Post by ryan91 »

I must be using the wrong name for this then, because I definitely cannot take it off and put it back on... it's like elastics that don't go around one bracket, it goes from bracket to bracket, and is yellow in colour?

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

That sounds like a powerchain but pc's don't go anywhere near the wires. They loop around each bracket. The brackets sit on top of the wires. So when you say the wire slipped out, the wire would have to be out of the bracket completely.

Oh wait, the above is true if you have self litigating brackets. Do you have SL brackets?

ryan91

#5 Post by ryan91 »

yeah, it's the SL's I have

peach

#6 Post by peach »

I have powerchains but not sl brackets. I was told that it doesn't really matter if one of the loops is off as long as it's not the end loops. Hope that helps:)

ryan91

#7 Post by ryan91 »

I'm lucky then because it has came of the one right next to the last one :P

ryan91

#8 Post by ryan91 »

actually, I've looked at this problem again, and I think it might be intentional to miss the final few brackets, as it misses the brackets in the same position on my top teeth too!

When I close my teeth together, the places where I thought the band had slipped out, align perfectly with the teeth at the bottom, so it basically comes from the band then rejoins the bracket correctly at the 3rd tooth from the back.

Could this sound normal :) ?