My bite is now messed up - anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crazyasaboxoffrogs

My bite is now messed up - anyone?

#1 Post by crazyasaboxoffrogs »

I woke up about 2 days ago and went to eat breakfast and found that every time I went to chew my teeth didn't seem to know where to meet in my mouth! They either try to touch brackets or other teeth (front teeth so not sure that should be happening?!) It's got a little worse today.

Is this just part and parcel of braces treatment? Will it get worse before it gets better?

I should mention that before braces my teeth on top and bottom were slanted and so I had to move my lower jaw slightly for my teeth to meet perfectly, now they seem to want to crash together every time I shut my mouth! :D

bookfairy

Re: My bite is now messed up - anyone?

#2 Post by bookfairy »

I'm not going to say it's 100 % normal - because my ortho put some stuff on my teeth so my teeth wouldn't touch my brackets (I felt like they did anyway, but she said they werent) but funny chewing, even biting yourself is common to me :)

Your teeth are moving, so I think it's pretty normal that eating is weird; but that is all just part of the proces!

But - if you feel that you are hitting your brackets so hard that you feel like oyu are hurting their position, I would have that checked out, just to be sure.
I hope I helped!
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Oh my gosh...my bite was forever changing over the course of my treatment. I never knew one day to the next what it was going to feel like or if I was going to have any molar contact, or if my teeth were going to hit each other in a weird way, or hit brackets in an annoying way. My ortho didn't seem concerned about any of this, or the state of my bite, until the end of treatment. I think what you are experiencing is completely normal. Annoying, but normal.

luchababe

#4 Post by luchababe »

I went for an adjustment last week and the Dr. asked me to relax my jaw so he could check my bite. I said "Which one?". He laughed and said they'll fix that eventually. :roll: It really does change week to week.

realnico

#5 Post by realnico »

i'm new here, so hello! and yes, my bite's been constantly changing since i had my braces on. it's not so pleasant to realise only two teeth meet or whatever, but you'll get there in the end so try not to worry!

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Apart from teeth hitting brackets, I am going through the same thing. I have to keep reminding myself it's normal and my bite wont stay in this horrid way forever.
TumbleDryLow wrote:Annoying, but normal.
I totally agree, can be really annoying. My first 'new' bite felt really good! but the one I have now sucks.
luchababe wrote:I went for an adjustment last week and the Dr. asked me to relax my jaw so he could check my bite. I said "Which one?". He laughed and said they'll fix that eventually. :roll: It really does change week to week.
This made me :lol:. I feel the same at the moment, I have two right now and thought people would laugh if I told them, so I am glad I'm not alone.

I remember thinking to myself the other day, "what should I do/say when my Ortho asks me to bite down?" tomorrow, since he's asked at each appointment so far. Maybe I'll quickly do the 'eeny meeny miny moe' in my head.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

hazybubbles

#7 Post by hazybubbles »

My bite was left uncomfortable and my molars not meeting properly after the first time I had braces (this was in my teens, NHS orthodontist). I've only had my braces 3 days this time and I can already feel it changing. I won't be letting them take my braces off until it is fixed this time!

JD33

#8 Post by JD33 »

On some days I wake with my bite off on other days it is way off I think it's normal yet a bit annoying. Good luck!!

bracedup

#9 Post by bracedup »

We all have to get used to it, and we do..My bite changes daily sometimes I can eat properly and somedays, like today, I cant. My teeth hurt, my mouth hurts and my jaw aches, ahhhh well tomorrow may be better again :)