Sleeping position must change

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JD33

Sleeping position must change

#1 Post by JD33 »

Before I had my braces my orthodontist asked me what position I slept at night. Initially I thought it was an odd and irrelevant question. I told her mostly on my stomach. That's when she told me how sleeping positions can effect teeth alignment and that be sleeping on my stomach I was putting pressure on my jaw and teeth with the pillow.

Now I have to consciously check how I sleep at night for sleeping on my stomach is a "NO NO."

Has anyone else been advised of this as well?

amandapanda

Re: Sleeping position must change

#2 Post by amandapanda »

After I had jaw surgery, I asked my surgeon if it was okay to start sleeping back on my side (Before, I had to sleep on my back in an elevated position) He said that I can sleep in any way except I shouldn't sleep 'on top of my head' / whilst doing a head stand :-* But apart from that, I've never heard of anyone saying that sleeping a certain way will affect your jaw position... However, a quick Google search brings up lots of articles about how stomach sleeping can put pressure on a lot of your joints and can exacerbate jaw pain. Maybe it is true?

jambo532

#3 Post by jambo532 »

I have never heard that but it makes sense. I am a side sleeper. I wonder if this is changing thing. Weird. Thanks for the info I am going to ask my ortho next appointment.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

JD33

#4 Post by JD33 »

Jambo keep us posted on what your ortho say :)