Teeth whitening

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jakesmom

Teeth whitening

#1 Post by jakesmom »

I am already thinking ahead to the day when the braces come off. What type of whitening procedures, i.e. Crest home whitening versus dentist-administered Zoom whitening have you experts used after the braces come off? What has been successful without causing teeth to become sensitive to cold?Thanks for your help!

LittleTurtle

Re: Teeth whitening

#2 Post by LittleTurtle »

Mine haven't even gone on yet, and my dentist is talking about wanting to do the Zoom treatment on me after I am done. So I will probably just go with that, but like you would like to know what others results have been. :P

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I had an adjustment today and after they took the wires out, I went to brush. My teeth looked really white. Those wires sure make our teeth look not so white at times.

I am sure I will whiten when the braces are off...but I think I also will need bonding so I assume, whiten first, then bond?

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

Yep you have to whiten first so they can match the bonding to your already white teeth.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

bookfairy

#5 Post by bookfairy »

Here is some happy news :yuck: ; my ortho said that I can get them whitened ONE WHOLE MONTH after debracing!

According to her, the braces, no matter which ones, do cause some damage to the teeth; so you need to do a one month treatment with a toothpaste that contains a lot of fluoride, so your teeth recover from the ordeal, and then you can whiten them.

Any of your orthos said something similar?
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!

jakesmom

#6 Post by jakesmom »

Sometimes I think that doctors don't tell you everything in the beginning, because they think you wouldn't go thru with it if you knew all the answers! So I had not heard that I might have to wait a month after debanding to get my teeth white again! Oh well, what's another month, right? I didn't realize how much affect the whitening toothpastes had been having on my teeth until I went a week without using them. It makes me very conscientious about drinking thru a straw and avoiding foods that stain.

11lp

#7 Post by 11lp »

My doc told me to brush with the crest whitening tooth paste and use the stripes if it doesn't have an obvious effect.

marc23

#8 Post by marc23 »

I somehow heard whitening actually wouldn't be this good for the teeth - is that correct?

dwalls32

#9 Post by dwalls32 »

Mine told me I will have to wait 1 month afterwards.

UGHBRACES

#10 Post by UGHBRACES »

bookfairy wrote:Here is some happy news :yuck: ; my ortho said that I can get them whitened ONE WHOLE MONTH after debracing!

According to her, the braces, no matter which ones, do cause some damage to the teeth; so you need to do a one month treatment with a toothpaste that contains a lot of fluoride, so your teeth recover from the ordeal, and then you can whiten them.

Any of your orthos said something similar?
I have heard of waiting for a month to do whitening, but not because the teeth need to heal. Because the gums need to heal..