Getting braced after 20+ years of wanting them

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

threescompany

Getting braced after 20+ years of wanting them

#1 Post by threescompany »

Hi there, recently found this forum while looking for tips for adults with braces. I'm getting ceramics on Friday, and I've waited over 20 years for this! I decided that at 40 years old, it's time to get the smile I've always wanted. I have a pretty large diastema between my front teeth. I had bonding put on to make it a lot smaller when I was about 24, but it's needed upkeep over the years for chipping, staining, etc, and I'm always dreading a big break in it. I thought I would need a frenectomy to close the gap, and was willing to do it.

After a couple consults, it turns out the problem is in my bottom teeth, and that is the result of a strong tongue thrusting habit that I never even knew was an issue. Of course, now that I know I can't stop thinking about it. I also have gaps in my bottom teeth, and that's not letting the top gap close up.

Long story short, my ortho thinks that it can all be closed up in 6 months, since the problem is all in the front and not the back. I'm excited but also nervous. I work in a school (7th/8th grade) so I'll probably be a source of comments on Monday. I'm a bit worried about pain, if my gums will be ripped up, etc. I didn't really think about the soft food thing before, so I guess I should go shopping tomorrow to be ready! I've heard that it's a good idea to take advil or aleve an hour or so before getting braces installed. Does that sound like a good plan?

Anyway, that's my story. Looking forward to learning from all of your experiences :)

benj

Re: Getting braced after 20+ years of wanting them

#2 Post by benj »

Congrats on finally getting the braces you've always wanted !!! I am sure you will not regret it!! I personally haven't seen that many people my own age in braces but its always great when I do, its very reassuring knowing that having them put on aged 30+ puts you in such an exclusive club!!

threescompany

#3 Post by threescompany »

Thanks benj. I'm going in tomorrow morning. Feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing! Will I be able to eat? Will I be able to close my lips? LOL. My husband, who had braces for three years as a teen, tells me it really isn't a big deal. But he's pretty easygoing.

I agreed to chaperone a dance tomorrow night before I had my installation appointment set. I'm sure I'll regret it! Maybe my students won't notice my teeth in the dark, lol.

threescompany

#4 Post by threescompany »

Well, I got them on! Pretty excited. The bummer is that they had to pad my molars on the bottom because one of my top molars was hitting a bracket on the bottom. So I can't close my mouth fully, and it's making my jaw pretty tired. Eating that way is definitely a challenge. No real soreness yet, we'll see later.

My 7 year old daughter cried and cried, she really doesn't like change. After she let it all out, she became my "braces helper", making sure nothing is stuck in there :D I'll post pictures once I have privileges.

threescompany

#5 Post by threescompany »

Day two update: Ouch.

45wantsnicesmile

#6 Post by 45wantsnicesmile »

Congrats on getting your braces. I went with Invisalign, got mine just over 2 weeks ago. I'm told it will be 18 months for me. How long do you have to wear your braces?

francis29

#7 Post by francis29 »

I am a little older than you (42) and getting banded tomorrow...so I will be on this ride with you! I am sort of excited and scared too! I am sorry your 7 year old cried when she saw your braces. I have the opposite my 14 year old son cannot wait to sit next to me tomorrow while I get my braces put on. How are your teeth feeling a few days past banding?

Francis

threescompany

#8 Post by threescompany »

I have a 16 year old too, and he's mortified that I got braces :lol: I can't win for trying!

I had to take my daughter to a birthday party today and nobody said anything. I talked to quite a few people too. I didn't tell many people I was getting them because I didn't want anyone to try to talk me out of them. Because of the bonding in the gap, people didn't really know there was any need, the people who've noticed them seemed really surprised that I needed braces. But, I'll be happy to no longer worry about the bonding being stained, chipped, making my front teeth out of proportion, etc.
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40

francis29

#9 Post by francis29 »

How nice that no one said anything at the birthday party! What I have found by our age...is that people mostly care about themselves, so I think it will be; "oh wow you have braces," then revert the conversation back to themselves or whatever the topic was. I have only told one of my friends about my braces and she and her daughter went to my son's ortho (now my new ortho) and my friend had braces on in her 40's as well. She said it was the best thing she has ever done for herself. She ended up after braces needing the top 6 teeth veneered anyway due to wear and discoloration but she was glad the teeth were in alignment for it. I get told a lot I have a nice smile and my teeth look perfect. Which is beyond not the case when my teeth lean in and I have a fang for the love. Sorry your 16 yr old is mortified! I will say my son was mortified when I was pg last year tho! ha ha...so a newborn, a 14 yr old and braces what am I doing to myself! HA! I am off to my appt now for banding and have a list of questions about why no braces on bottom teeth, I do not love my bottoms, they are not perfect in the least, and why aren't we correcting my bite, etc. I am sure she has good reasons for all of this but my son was talking thru the consult and I couldn't hear what she was saying. I hear you also on the bonding, I have some too that stains inbtwn my teeth and I can't wait to just get rid of all that, straighten the teeth and go from there.

Francis

threescompany

#10 Post by threescompany »

Well, my teeth are still really sore. :shock: Advil doesn't really do much for it, honestly. I'm so thankful for wax, though, since my gums are pretty ripped up in some places. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. Thankfully my sentence should be short.

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures.

This is the front view before. My teeth aren't particularly crooked, though some are slightly rotated. Never noticed but I can tell by the brackets. Hard to see the gap since it's covered by bonding, but that triangle at my gum line gives it away.

Side view. You can see the space which is on both sides, and is keeping the front teeth open.

Braces on! They are clear ceramic, and lighter than my teeth. Yikes.

ellem

#11 Post by ellem »

I'm in the same situation as you-- have wanted to get mine for decades, too. Your teeth actually look quite nice w/o them^^ How are you dealing w/ eating & preparing meals? Was it a huge adjustment?

francis29

#12 Post by francis29 »

Threes,

Your teeth look good now so they will be FABULOUS when you are done! How long will you be 'braced?' I have 4 months 3 weeks to go, I hope (I did 1 year in Invisalign a few years ago so I have to fine tune now in fixed braces). I have almost the same gap on the bottom as you do, I wonder how that happened?

Francis

lyphta

#13 Post by lyphta »

Looks great! Glad you were able to finally get the braces that you've always wanted. Regardless of age, anything is possible, so good for you! And your teeth look great! Nice and white.

BracedGeek

#14 Post by BracedGeek »

Your teeth look great! I love the ceramic braces. They remind me of my white computer from a company that can't be named here. :)

I am getting braces after years of kind of wanting them, but thinking I didn't need them. It only took one dentist telling me it would be a good idea to win me over. Come to the dark side, we have brackets...
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

threescompany

#15 Post by threescompany »

The ceramic braces definitely are less noticeable, and I've had people not notice them at all. However, I do feel like they have a higher profile (stick out from the tooth) then some of the metal brackets out there. My ortho uses "micro-brackets" which are really small. Also, I think if you get food in them, that's less noticeable on the metal brackets too. Once people initially see that you have braces, it doesn't really matter what kind they are. So I think if I had to do it again, I'd go with metal. Hindsight is always 20/20, eh?