Getting braces next week

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris2785

Getting braces next week

#1 Post by Chris2785 »

Hi guys,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster :-p

I'm a 25 year old guy who has been unhappy with the state of my teeth since.. forever.

So.. took the plunge and decided its now or never and i simply cannot live the rest of my life with this mess of a smile :-)

Had rubber spacers for two weeks and a Nance appliance put in a few months ago,

The rubber spacers were fine, just felt like i had food stuck in my mouth,

The Nance appliance was annoying at first but i can honestly say i don't even know its there now.

I have had 4 bicuspids removed in total. 2 a few weeks ago and had the other 2 out Tuesday just gone.

The extractions were SOOOO EASY and PAINLESS! and believe me when i say i was worried about having teeth out.

So back to the orthodontist this Thursday coming for the braces to go on!

Then he reckons 18 months or so..

I have come to terms with being 25 and a man and I understand that my social life will be one of abuse down the local pub for the next couple of weeks, but thats all ok..

people get bored of taking the mick ;-)

Hope to here from people soon!!

Thanks guys,

Chris.

Sandpiper

Re: Getting braces next week

#2 Post by Sandpiper »

Good luck, Chris - glad you're taking the plunge at what (to me) is a young age.....I am 43, and I wish my teeth had been sorted out properly when I was first in braces at 18. Anyway, I am really happy with my progress.....time passes quickly, and I'm sure you will be seeing encouraging signs of movement after just a few weeks. Your mates might give you a hard time, but the end result will be so worth it - I'm sure you won't regret it. I look forward to following your progress!
471 days in braces

[/url]

Chris2785

#3 Post by Chris2785 »

Thanks Sandpiper, yeah im sure i'll get a hard time but in a couple years i can just keep smiling at them :-)

PrincessLea

#4 Post by PrincessLea »

Hey I'm also new to the board!

what a coincidence as I'm getting my braces this thursday coming! I'm 23 going on 24 so I know exactly what you feel. Its not the end of the world but I think its definitely going to take some adjusting.

I'm having braces to prepare for Jaw surgery which will be next January - i'll also be having two wisdom teeth out this May in the lead up. its scary but exciting too. I really want to get going with the treatment I can see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Hope your brace fitting goes well!

Chris2785

#5 Post by Chris2785 »

Haha now that is a coincidence!!

looks like we can be brace buddy's!! :-)

good luck with your fitting as well

SlimZippy

#6 Post by SlimZippy »

Great that you are taking the step to get braced up. I wish I had done it earlier myself. I wouldn’t worry about people joking about your brace, in fact no one mentioned it to me. Anyway you can laugh at their teeth soon. :-*
Damon & ICE brackets for 11 months in 2010/2011 @ 34 : Before and after pictures here

PrincessLea

#7 Post by PrincessLea »

We certainly can be haha!! you'll have to keep me updated :)

lyphta

#8 Post by lyphta »

Good luck on your treatment Chris! I'm going to be getting my premolars extracted tomorrow though I've had braces on for 8 months now, but it's good to hear you had a painless experience!

18 months doesn't seem bad at all. What's your case like? Overbite/Underbite/Openbite/etc?

Chris2785

#9 Post by Chris2785 »

I have a slight over bite so that the two teeth next two the front teeth are behind the front teeth,

I'm not really bothered about the bottom set they are not that bad but need doing for alignment etc :-)

Chris2785

#10 Post by Chris2785 »

Oh and don't fret about the extractions.. the worse part is the injection and that's nothing..

:-D

kennyandrew85

#11 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Hi all, I'm from UK and I'll be 26 in a few months time and thought it was time I sorted out my mess of a smile too. I've put them off so many times as I thought they would ruin my social life, but it has to be done as I have no doubt it will make my life a million ways better once it's finished!

Had 4 teeth extracted so far which were painless, only some slight aching on the left side of the mouth which was weird as the right was totally pain free.

Will get the braces on the 18th April, ceramic tops and metal bottoms, been reading horror stories on here and youtube about people's faces caving in from extractions and all sorts but I think it's scare marketing from a few companies offering alternative solutions.

I've been told it'll be 2 years but who knows! I will keep some pictures throughout my treatment and post them on here.

Lc1987

#12 Post by Lc1987 »

Heyy I'm a newbie too, I'm from the UK and I'm 24 in April. Had my top brace fitted on Monday & the bottom one will follow. I'm having a jaw op too though they havent really said how long It will be before I can have that done. My teeth arnt toooo bad so I'm hoping it will be sooner rather than later :)

I expect a bit of banter from my mates about it. The most worried I am is with work as I'm freelance and I meet new people all the time, but now I've been on here & seen there are quite a few people in the uk my age having braces I don't feel as bad :D

Hows everyone feeling about their first nights out with the braces on? I was going to hibernate this weekend till i got used to them haha. Not sure how people will react to me in braces. I have a work mate who said he thinks women in braces are cute haha!! If only everyone thought that ay :P

Leanne

- Bottom brace fitted 11/11
- Top brace fitted: 28/03/11
- Bottom wisdom teeth removal op: 10/02/11

Chris2785

#13 Post by Chris2785 »

Had a call off the orthodontist, he said my brackets haven't arrived so i have to wait another two weeks! grrrr

Lc1987

#14 Post by Lc1987 »

Aw how annoying!! I'm sure it will pass quickly though. Just make sure you make the most of eatting lots of hard/tasty/sticky stuff these next two weeks! :)

- Bottom brace fitted 11/11
- Top brace fitted: 28/03/11
- Bottom wisdom teeth removal op: 10/02/11

ellen

#15 Post by ellen »

Good luck with the braces! It will go so much faster than you can imagine - and you'll be so happy that you went through with it when you start seeing how great your teeth can look!