Braces at 50

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennie 50

Braces at 50

#1 Post by Gennie 50 »

Hello everyone. I have finally decided to introduce myself and try to post before and progress pictures. I got braces 3 weeks before my 50th birthday. I'm surprised with the progress. I've gone through most of the discomfort of being braced. Dry mouth, canker sores, elastics and most recently - power chains. Does anyone out there swallow your food whole? I do.

I'll do some more reading and try to figure out how to post pictures.

loradora

Re: Braces at 50

#2 Post by loradora »

He Gennie welcome to the forum and the world of braces. I'm 57 and a week away from getting my braces off. Good luck to you.

revontuli

#3 Post by revontuli »

Welcome Gennie, and congratulations, Loradora! I got braces at 55 so I hope I'll be saying the same thing you are when I'm 57: that I'm a week away from getting them off. I'm six months in now -- a ways to go but so far I'm thrilled with the progress!

MegP60+

#4 Post by MegP60+ »

Hi there, welcome to the forum. I was braced at 60, now 10 months in and pleased with the progress to date. I hear you about swallowing food whole, some days it is really difficult to chew food properly. Good thing our digestive systems are adaptable. Good luck in your braces journey and looking forward to your pics.

BracedGeek

#5 Post by BracedGeek »

I try to chew my food, but a lot gets swallowed whole these days.
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

threescompany

#6 Post by threescompany »

I hear you about swallowing food whole! I'm just at the point where I can chew a little bit. Not fun!

Congrats getting braced! Glad you are seeing good progress :)
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40

ellem

#7 Post by ellem »

Hello everyone-- I am soooo excited there are others my age & older on here!! I've gone back & forth, trying to justify getting my teeth braced & imagining all sorts of rude comments & whatnot (mostly from family)... but decided just to go ahead... it wasn't easy, but I'm charging ahead^^

So inspiring to read your stories, makes me feel a bit less nervous...

Gennie 50

#8 Post by Gennie 50 »

Ellem:
Welcome...go ahead and start your braces journey. Hopefully you will not get any rude comments from anyone. I was also scared about rude comments, but they never came. Even my family is very supportive of my decision to get braced. Being a little nervous is O.K., but remember the end results will be worth it.

Keep your chin up and it will work out..........

serendipitymoon

#9 Post by serendipitymoon »

Hi There,

Thank you for posting your experience. I'm 41, turning 42 in September and getting braces in three weeks. I'm really nervous and worried about dating with them on. I just went out with a guy and told him that I was going to get braces and I haven't heard from him since. I really appreciate knowing that there are other people out there that are getting braces at an older age. It makes me feel like I'm not so different.

musiclady2340

#10 Post by musiclady2340 »

Congrats on moving forward. I swallow or chew however I can...Got braced at 56. Halfway done. So happy that I made the decision. It will be worth it... :tingrin:

Foxsong

#11 Post by Foxsong »

I'm excited to meet folks my age here, too. I just got my braces a week ago, ten days after my 50th birthday. I already feel better about smiling in public because people are so encouraging and nice when they see I've gotten braces!

daveinbraces

#12 Post by daveinbraces »

I'm a noobie here. Braces just before my 50th birthday (that was back in January this year). So far everyone's reaction has been positive and now that my teeth are visibly straighter people are excited about it. Very very few derogatory remarks.

I'm surprised and a bit put back by how much a chore eating had become. I love to eat and cook a bit and that has taken a lot of patience. Not being able to eat what I want when I want has me realizing just how emotional my attachment to food is!

Flossing was ridiculous at first, but is slowly getting easier. I've found these GUM toothbrushes with very long soft bristles that are fantastic! Found them at Wahlgreens. Bought a bunch of them. I also have the shower head mounted WaterPik thing that I use once a day. That also helps keep things clean. I brush roughly 4x a day and always dry brush after every meal.

I have ceramic tops, metal bottoms. Using SureSmile. Ortho's estimate is 24 months. I will be at least until October "shuffling teeth" at which point they will fix my overbite and align my bite. I do see elastics in my future!

Overall I am surprised at the speed my teeth are moving and am excited at the progress.

loradora

#13 Post by loradora »

Hi, it's great to see all you 50 somethings here and wish you all the best of luck. I'm enjoying life after braces, though I have to wear my lower Hawley retainer 24/7 for six months, then I'll wear them at home and while sleeping for the next six months, then probably just at night. I didn't have to get the upper teeth braced, but I have an upper retainer to wear one night a week. Glad I don't have to wear that during the day...talk about a speech impediment. :mrgreen:

leana

#14 Post by leana »

So glad to see posts from the older crowd. I'm 52 and got braces 3 months ago for overjet and overbite. I have to say it has been very difficult and stressful. Eating is hell. I've lost 10 pounds, which for someone who started at 115lb is not a good thing. Feeling very skeletal and worried that I'm just going to waste away. Anyone else dealing with unwanted weight loss?

kennyandrew85

#15 Post by kennyandrew85 »

leana,

I would suggest looking at buying protein powder, combined with some light exercise you should put a bit of weight on and look more healthy. All you do is mix it with water and tastes like a strawberry drink.