what supplies should I buy before getting braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mommy

what supplies should I buy before getting braces?

#1 Post by mommy »

Hi everyone,

what supplies should I buy before getting braces? I know I will get some basic sample stuff from my orthodontist, but what else would you recommend to get? I want to be ready :)

Thanks.

July 5, 2011 spacers on
July 12, 2011 bottom braces on

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38938

lyphta

Re: what supplies should I buy before getting braces?

#2 Post by lyphta »

I would buy some mouthwash if you don't already have it and I would lay off the whitening kinds. I don't know if it's been proven or not, but if it does whiten your teeth and you have brackets on, when you take it off, you might have discolored teeth because the teeth underneath the bracket won't be whitened.
I'd also try and buy a nice electric toothbrush. I find that it leaves my teeth feeling cleaner than a manual one. Though I still use a manual one when my teeth are sore. :)
I don't think you really need anything else, I just use what my ortho gave me (a travel toothbrush, floss, floss threaders, dental mirror, wax, spam spam spam, and interdental cleaners)
Estimated time: 24 months in Inovation-R

BracesKing

#3 Post by BracesKing »

I completely agree with lyphta. I got my kit too and that's enough as per my knowledge.

katiemcb09

#4 Post by katiemcb09 »

I got an Oral B Vitality toothbrush (I tended to brush really hard with a regular toothbrush and had gum recession, so this helps control that), and I also got a Waterpik. Other than that, I wouldn't really stress. I bought a TON of little things - every time I went through the dental section of the grocery store, I would snatch up more mini toothpastes, etc. But a lot of that will come in your kit and/or you won't go through it as quick as you think. Get the big stuff and worry about the little things later!

24 y/o, 1st timer, ceramic top 6, metal everywhere else
Estimated: 28 months
http://missmetalmouth.wordpress.com/

BracedGeek

#5 Post by BracedGeek »

Waterpik
Glide floss
Manual orthodontic toothbrushes
Replacement heads for my sonic toothbrush
Wax
ACT Mouthwash
Non-whitening toothpaste for both dry-mouth and sensitive teeth.
Travel toothbrush
Interdental cleaners

I put together a kit to carry with me with all the stuff I need to brush my teeth elsewhere. It helps to have it all in one place, so if I change bags, I don't have to make sure I put all the stuff I need back in.
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

ladyksilver

#6 Post by ladyksilver »

Thanks for this list. I get braced on May 3 and was wondering what I needed to purchase-I like to do things ahead of time. I'm definelty going to get the Water Pik and the electric toothbrush.

benj

#7 Post by benj »

Interdental cleaners are really the biggies that you will want to have everywhere, as there are so many on the market so you'll need to find the ones that work best for you. Some have flossing bows to get in between spaces, some are like disposable plastic toothpicks and others like mini toothbrushes with gels to make cleaning easier. A lot did not work for me the way I wanted them to so is best to try everything available on the market.

My othodontist gave me a kit with an expensive ortho brush that was unusable after a week, a travel brush, toothpicks, two minute brush/egg timer, plaque staining pills, dental mirror, wax and samples to try.

Depending on how much discomfort you are in the first weeks it might be wise to stock up on some liquid meal replacements. I purchased a large drum of non-flavored whey protein isolate powder to have on stand by. Good for spiking soups and beverages with extra protein and minerals if you don't wanna clean up all the time.

mommy

#8 Post by mommy »

BracedGeek wrote:Non-whitening toothpaste
lyphta wrote: I would lay off the whitening kinds
thanks everyone for your helpful comments... I am just surprised that I can't use any whitening products? :shock:

July 5, 2011 spacers on
July 12, 2011 bottom braces on

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38938

BracedGeek

#9 Post by BracedGeek »

After you get braces there is a chance that whitening toothpaste will whiten your teeth, but since you have the brackets on, it would leave those areas a different color.

Before you get braces, it is best to not whiten, because that can make your teeth more sensitive.
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

katiemcb09

#10 Post by katiemcb09 »

Forgot one thing - Right after I got braces, I bought a Vera Bradley cosmetic bag for all my ortho stuff. Totally unnecessary, but it made me hate them a little less since I got a cute bag out of it. Silly I know, but I was pretty depressed for a couple weeks! And definitely soft foods, as someone mentioned. I had tons leftover, but every time I get an adjustment they come back in handy.

24 y/o, 1st timer, ceramic top 6, metal everywhere else
Estimated: 28 months
http://missmetalmouth.wordpress.com/

impatientpatient

#11 Post by impatientpatient »

Orthodontic wax!! It is the only thing that has kept me sane this first week of braces. Such relief from the scratching inside my cheeks.
Ordered some bubble gum flavoured wax from ebay too!

lyphta

#12 Post by lyphta »

Definitely buy a bag to put your supplies in like katiemcb09 said, if your othro doesn't give you one already. It really is handy so you will never lose it and it's easy to just take it to the bathroom and do all your cleaning without having to hold onto so many things.

Yeah anything that has to do with whitening is something I wouldn't suggest cause you don't want discoloration after you're done with your treatment. It's best to wait till you're de-braced to start using the whitening stuff again.
Estimated time: 24 months in Inovation-R

venom

#13 Post by venom »

i used whitening strips on my teeth just before getting braces.

bbsadmin

#14 Post by bbsadmin »

Our sister website, http://www.DentaKit.com has a lot of supplies you would need before and during braces or retainers.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!