ortho visit today-plans being made - need advice/thoughts

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sunshine72

ortho visit today-plans being made - need advice/thoughts

#1 Post by sunshine72 »

excited after my ortho visit today...just a quick chat as the orthodontist wanted to look at my xrays and impressions etc.

she mentioned at the last meeting that braces may cause my retruded teeth to protrude??? a bit concerned by that...but surely they are not gonna stick out by miles?..i think its more of her way of warning me how different they could look after slanting inwrds all my life?..

anyway, she noticed on the xrays, bone loss around 2 teeth, caused by gum disease...i have no visible gum disease now, but i have an appointment to go back in a few weeks to get a "pocket chart" check??? i presume this is where they poke your gums and measure? not sure? advice would be appreciated.

so the plan is, not to extract any teeth, but to make a plastic brace for the top set to try and push them forward a bit, then fixed braces will go on the bottom first....then the top set will be braced last....so excited....and it will take approx 2 and half years:)..oh and a retainer after all the treatment..

she showed me the model of my teeth and asked me what bothered me the most.....(everything) but i pointed out how much i hate 1 particular tooth as it is set behind my front tooth rather than next to it...and the way the slant in too...

they all started talking after this and making notes, i am excited, but i'm also scared..and its sounds silly, but i thought "what if they just fix that and leave them still wonky?".....

i've wanted this for so long, and now its happening i keep worrying about this "protruded" issue...the way i look at it is they're gonna look a lot better than they do right now:)

sammywantstraightteeth

Re: ortho visit today-plans being made - need advice/thought

#2 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

My lower teeth are being pushed outwards a bit to meet my upper teeth which are being pulled inwards. It is a bit odd having them pointing a different way, but they are not protruding significantly, even though they weren't really that retruded when I started.

I don't think you need to worry about them only fixing that one tooth - they will make the whole set better. They were probably just asking you what bothered you the most so that they could make sure they corrected that as well as possible in particular, but their plan will move most of your teeth at least a little so the whole lot will be better at the end.

Do you have a bracing date yet?

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

sunshine72

Re: ortho visit today-plans being made - need advice/thought

#3 Post by sunshine72 »

thanks,
no brace date yet, i go back in 10 days for a "pocket chart" check....although everyone (dentist/hygenist/ortho) are happy i have no signs of gum disease, i believe this check is quite common just to be sure there is nothing they have missed before orthodontic work begins...

and it will be the plastic retainer i wear first...i'm gonna lisp!LOL and i talk a lot!!LOL ah well, the more i talk the more i master it :lol: