SO Anxious!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SiNsation

SO Anxious!

#1 Post by SiNsation »

Hi! I'm very new to the board but i've been lurking for a long time. I'm getting my braces in June. 2 months form now! & I do NOT want to wait that long. I haven't smiled, it feels like for my whole life & I'm ready for a pretty smile. What did you guys do to pass time until you got your braces?

poppy123

Re: SO Anxious!

#2 Post by poppy123 »

Why do you have to wait 2 months? What kind of brace are you getting. I got mine one week after my consultation. However the place I was originally going to had a 12 week wait just for the consultation. Whilst I was waiting for this appt I couldn't stop researching on the Internet and I found another ortho office closer to home, they fitted my in for a consult the very next day and have been fab ever since. Just to bear in mind if your ortho office is very busy then you couldn't have a nightmare if you have any problems or need emergency spots when it's on.

poppy123

#3 Post by poppy123 »

Why do you have to wait 2 months? What kind of brace are you getting. I got mine one week after my consultation. However the place I was originally going to had a 12 week wait just for the consultation. Whilst I was waiting for this appt I couldn't stop researching on the Internet and I found another ortho office closer to home, they fitted my in for a consult the very next day and have been fab ever since. Just to bear in mind if your ortho office is very busy then you couldn't have a nightmare if you have any problems or need emergency spots when it's on.

WebDevGirl

#4 Post by WebDevGirl »

Within 6 months i went from never smiling to show my ugly teeth to GREAT BIG SMILES that i've always had inside of me. I still have an overbite i still have a year and half to go but every day when i look in the mirror and smile i am so glad i started this journey.

Everyone experience is different but for me the wait was worse then the deed. The spaces weren't fun but my teeth were a bit sensitive the first couple of weeks but for the most part it was a pretty painless experience. I don't even get pain when i go for my adjustments. I still have an overbite and at least a year and half left but i honestly couldn't be happier.

Mostly i did what you were doing before getting my braces, searching this site and finding out information. Honestly the best thing to do is prepare yourself for the day. I got a waterpik, planned out a nice 'last meal' and even had some tasty yet soft meals lined up for after i got my braces. I basically prepared myself and then just sat back and waited for the day. Relax, it will be fine!

BracedGeek

#5 Post by BracedGeek »

In rural areas, a longer wait is pretty much to be expected. I had to wait a while for my consultation and then a little longer for them to get started.

On a happy note, I had a "long good-bye" to Haribo and other forbidden foods. :mrgreen:
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

mommy

#6 Post by mommy »

Hi, I'm getting my braces in 3 months - I am getting new dental insurance that's why I have to wait so long. I've been reading stories on this site and it helps me to learn more about everyhing that comes with having braces - good way to help you pass time until you get your braces :wink:

July 5, 2011 spacers on
July 12, 2011 bottom braces on

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38938

wanda

#7 Post by wanda »

Hi , Im new too and getting my braces in 2 weeks , I am very anxious but excited .I think its nice to have a bit of time to prepare and get ready for having your braces, but 3 months must seem ages away for you ! You could spend the time buying lots of wax and other dental items you need , also take lots of photos of your teeth , and eat lots of food that might be difficult when you are braced .

Waiting4braces

#8 Post by Waiting4braces »

Hi! I'm in a similar situation to you- I'm planning on getting my braces on at the end of May... It's such a drag isn't it!

To pass the time I have been watching lots of YouTube videos with people talking about their braces, how to clean them, their retainers etc. I've also been checking out what kind of foods I could eat that won't stain my braces, and of course reading lots of posts and articles on this site! I've got a tooth missing, so have also been researching implants v. bridges v. dentures- this problem won't really come up until the braces are off, but it's something to consider now I think! I've also been researching the different types of retainers available, but I am sure the orthodontist will recommend what he feels is best at the time. I've also had a little Google at gum contouring... The possibilities are endless!

I know exactly how you're feeling- I could just burst with excitement!! May and June are really just around the corner though now, so really not long for us to wait! (It sure does feel like it though!)

SiNsation

#9 Post by SiNsation »

Hi Everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one that's anxious around here. I have to wait until June to get my braces because I'm away in college & the drive is about 6 hours away. SO, my only option is to wait until summer. I'm hoping my mom will change her mind & make it mid May. The sooner the better!

But yes, I've been doing everything everyone mentioned, for the past YEAR; searching on here, & Google. I haven't looked at youtube yet, maybe i'll do that for the next 2 months to pass by time.

Thanks for the replies. Hope the time goes by fast for all of us!

katiemcb09

#10 Post by katiemcb09 »

Hey! I had to wait over 2 months from my initial phone call to my consultation. After that, it all went pretty quick! But to tell the truth, I just tried not to think about it. The time flew when I wasn't constantly googling and stressing (which I'm prone to doing!). Hopefully it'll be summer before you know it!

24 y/o, 1st timer, ceramic top 6, metal everywhere else
Estimated: 28 months
http://missmetalmouth.wordpress.com/

anxiousgirl

#11 Post by anxiousgirl »

DONT BE ANXIOUS!!!
look at my username... anxiousgirl.. pffft i wish i could change that now
ever since i got braces my anxiety has gone away!
I was very anxious (I actually have an anxiety disorder... not just anxious about braces)
You have no need to be anxious.. yes waits are annoying.. i only had to wait about 5 days to get mine on
But i have had mine on 1 month 14 days and my teeth have straightened alot!
They dont hurt to get on or anything :)
Youll do great :)

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013

Chiara

#12 Post by Chiara »

I know exactly how you feel. I've been doing research on braces and jaw surgery for the past year and I won't be braced until May 2nd. I had to wait so long because I had to change my insurance plan and use my income tax return as a down payment. Plus on top of that it was so hard getting appointments with my surgeon and orthodontist but I got the best in town so I know its worth it. Just hang in there!

Loztredders

#13 Post by Loztredders »

I know exactly how you feel about waiting, I had my first consultation back in October. Then had a 7 week wait for the results. Unfortunatly, they weren't able to help me due to a couple of short roots on a few of my teeth so I had to be referred to the hospital. I have been waiting 3.5months for this appointment to come through, and now it has and it's still just over seven weeks away! But the time has gone pretty quick so far, I've been trying to keep myself as busy as possible. I know how you feel about not smiling either, I am EXACTLY the same way. I am so self concious of my teeth that they affect every day of my life with thinking about them constantly and trying not to show them.
Try to relax though, 2 months will fly by, I promise :-)

Crazy4Snow

#14 Post by Crazy4Snow »

I waited 2 weeks and I was a nervous wreck the whole time, I'm glad they're now on and that part is over with...now I'm dreading my first adjustment!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

ladyksilver

#15 Post by ladyksilver »

I can relate to you all. My journey actually started last year with my regular dentist. I informed him that I was considering braces and he/she put together a plan to correct and prepare me for my consultation. They knew things like cavaties and wisdom teeth would be an issue & the local orthos would send me right back to my reg. dentist to have those things taken care of and it took me all of last year to do that. I had to wait two weeks for my consult apt. I did my x-rays & molds two weeks after that and two weeks after that got my final treatment presentation. I had to have a tooth extracted last Thursday and I will get my spacers put in next Tuesday, then finally May 3rd I get braced!

I've been doing like all of you and researching procedures on websites, blogs, and Youtube- these have all calmed my anxieties somewhat. Another thing that has calmed me down is the ticker graphic below. Good luck to everyone on their journey.