SO frustrated after extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clangjr

SO frustrated after extractions

#1 Post by clangjr »

I had my braces put on on 4/5. I had three bicuspids removed on 4/14 (two top, one bottom) to make room for my teeth to move.

I am SO frustrated right now. I've got huge holes where teeth once were. There's nothing supporting the wires so I am unable to chew ANYTHING, my teeth and gums still hurt from the extractions, my teeth hit differently now which is painful, and I'm losing weight like crazy (I am one of the strange people looking to put on weight).

Has anyone else experienced this? I am seriously considering going back to the ortho and asking to get my elastics put on now so I can close these gaps!! It's HORRIBLE!!

catgyrl

Re: SO frustrated after extractions

#2 Post by catgyrl »

I feel for you. Extractions suck, even when there aren't complications. Your bite will be off during the whole course of your treatment, so that's something you'll need to get used to. You just have to figure out other ways to eat, and if you're hungry enough... YOU WILL! haha :lol:

I hate to break it to you, but those gaps take a looooong time to close. Teeth move on average of 1mm per month. I had my extraction on 5/1/10, and he had to wait for the site to heal before putting on the elastic to close the gap, which took about a month. So, in June 2010 I got my first elastic for gap closure... it's now April 2011 and though my gap has closed considerably, it's still there. Just be patient... things will happen when they're supposed to.

Hang in there!!
-Cathy

Ionika

#3 Post by Ionika »

i totally feel you...beside 4 biscupids i had part of my right- upper- lateral removed- see my story, it's complicated....

so it was sooooooooooo visible.... and i was an extreme crowding patient...

it only gets better :dance:

Chiara

#4 Post by Chiara »

Trust me I know how you feel right now. I had 6 teeth extracted on 4/15. (2 upper wisdom teeth, top 2nd bicuspids, lower 1st bicuspids) I dont even have my braces on yet, I'll get my spacers on Monday. It's tough, but starting to get better. I was also afraid of losing weight because of all this. I'm 5'6 and only 106lbs. I started drinking those Ensure nutritional drinks and having one glass of whey protein powder in my milk in the morning. I haven't been able to weigh myself but I actually think it's making me put on a few pounds which I like. My teeth are pretty useless right now because of the gaps and my wonderful openbite but there's no turning back now. Just know your not suffering alone. :D
Leforte I maxillary osteo and Genioplasty(Surgery date- June 5, 2013)
[/url]
[/url]

Flamingo

#5 Post by Flamingo »

I promise you it will get better!
I had all 4 2nd pre-molars (bicuspids) extracted back in January & my braces put on a week later - i honestly thought i'd never be able to chew/eat again! During the 1st 6-8 weeks i lost over 1/2 a stone (which i couldn't afford to loose), people were commenting on how gaunt my face looked & i hated seeing my face in the mirror - looked like my cheeks had sunken in. However, as time's gone on & the extraction sites have healed things have got better - I've put the weight back on & i can pretty much eat whatever i want :) I'm now just over the 3 month mark & a lot of the time i now forget my braces are even there (still feel self-conscious when i grin tho).I can't believe how much my teeth have straightened already but the extraction gaps are still huge & i do wonder how on earth they are going to close :shock:
Try to eat softer food, cut it up really small & throw it to the back of your mouth & use your tongue & roof of your mouth to kind of 'chew' your food - i know it sound odd but it really worked for me.
Please hang in there - it will get easier & once you start to see movement you'll realise it was all worthwhile!

Melody85

#6 Post by Melody85 »

aaaw i know how you feel. I had 2 upper back teeth taken out only yesterday. I've had braces on since January 27th this year so they had to cut wires to allow the teeth to be taken out. The worst bit was going to the orthodontist right after the extractions where they replaced the wire and tightened it up so much I wanted to cry. It's very frustrating i know. I'm living on soup and protein shakes. Going out for dinner with friends is a no-go, I have to turn down dates and dinner invitations, I feel ugly and 'gappy'. It's going to be okay, once you get over this hurdle (which you will) you're on the home stretch to a hollywood smile!

Chiara

#7 Post by Chiara »

I feel like the gaps I have are so obvious since i dont even have braces on yet. i feel like people are thinking "why is this young girl missing teeth" lol at least you have your braces on so people know its a work in progress and not just poor hygiene. but i know itll be worth it once my bite and jaw are perfect
Leforte I maxillary osteo and Genioplasty(Surgery date- June 5, 2013)
[/url]
[/url]

impatientpatient

#8 Post by impatientpatient »

I know how you feel. Got a perfectly healthy tooth extracted last week. I cannot chew which leaves me feeling really unsatisfied after meals and really bloated. I cannot stop putting my tongue in the hole where the tooth was which makes me feel sick :-((
All I want to eat is some coleslaw but I can't chew on either side of my mouth now due to missing teeth.

Oh well at least we can suck on some chocolate eggs this weekend I guess! :D

blueberrynights

#9 Post by blueberrynights »

I also know how you feel.
I had two upper premolars extracted on 11/4 and got a new wire on 15/4. Putting on the new wire hurt like hell and I'm also supposed to get elastics next week.
However, I love food, and although my back teeth barely touch when I chew and they really hurt, I managed to go out for dinner yesterday and today. First I was sooooo scared of food getting trapped in the extractions sites, but my ortho said it should be ok and I should EAT. I also lost weight and started to look unhealthy.

Just be brave, try it, and you will get used to it somehow.

5kYL1n3

#10 Post by 5kYL1n3 »

I am very scared of getting extractions now after reading this...

clangjr

#11 Post by clangjr »

Thanks for all the support everyone.

I am still having a tough time chewing. Stuff is still getting jammed into the extraction sites. It's still very uncomfortable when you chew and the wires where the teeth were are doing your chewing. I know it hasn't been long, but I see no movement at all in any of my teeth.

ladyksilver

#12 Post by ladyksilver »

I got my bottom tooth exctracted on 4/26 so I know how all of you feel regarding eating and being self consicous about the gap. Now that I'm used to eating again, I get spacers put in tomorrow and I get braced next Tuesday! It's comforting to know I'm not alone in this journey!!

clangjr

#13 Post by clangjr »

YEEOOOWWCH!!

Last night I went for my first official follow up since being braced. No new wire, they changed the ligatures, and they added some wire and the chains to close the gaps. They told me that it will take about 3 months to close the gaps halfway. I was told they could do it faster, but I guess not in my case.

These chains are TIGHT and they hurt!!

dorothysnarker

#14 Post by dorothysnarker »

[quote="clangjr"]I had my braces put on on 4/5. I had three bicuspids removed on 4/14 (two top, one bottom) to make room for my teeth to move.

I am SO frustrated right now. I've got huge holes where teeth once were. There's nothing supporting the wires so I am unable to chew ANYTHING, my teeth and gums still hurt from the extractions, my teeth hit differently now which is painful, and I'm losing weight like crazy (I am one of the strange people looking to put on weight).

Has anyone else experienced this? I am seriously considering going back to the ortho and asking to get my elastics put on now so I can close these gaps!! It's HORRIBLE!![/quote]

I feel you! In late March I had both upper canines extracted to make room for the adult canines to come down, and there's still a gap and there probably will be on for a while. It's frustrating, for sure, but I think it helps to keep in mind that it's temporary.

katiemcb09

#15 Post by katiemcb09 »

I was bracketed 12/28/10, and within a week had all 4 second premolars extracted. I thought I might lost a pound or so, but it turns out I really like food. I think if you want to badly enough, you'll eat. I would go to Max -n- Ermas and get 2 or 3 bowls of soup at a time. I also stocked up on pudding, Bob Evans mashed potatoes, applesauce, pasta, etc. It does feel weird to bite for awhile, and my gaps are definitely still there (he hasn't even started closing them yet), but you really do get used to it. And once the holes heal, it makes eating a LOT easier. Don't worry!

24 y/o, 1st timer, ceramic top 6, metal everywhere else
Estimated: 28 months
http://missmetalmouth.wordpress.com/