Mom in braces at 42

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flbeachgirl

Mom in braces at 42

#1 Post by flbeachgirl »

Just had braces placed yesterday morning at age 42....who would have thought? Mine are for TMJ that was affecting my ear, headaches and most recently a locked jaw. So far, so good, but find that drinking is easier out of a straw than a glass!! I am sure I will learn these things along the way. Not too much discomfort, yet.....!!

Foxsong

Re: Mom in braces at 42

#2 Post by Foxsong »

Welcome aboard, flbeachgirl! I just started two weeks ago, and I'm 50. Mine haven't been particularly uncomfortable either. Let's hope we both have smooth sailing. :-*
Braced on 4-11-11
Progress pics: http://www.photobucket.com/bracesprogress

laura5535

#3 Post by laura5535 »

Hi, I am thinking about getting braces and I will be 41 really soon. I am glad to see that other people over 40 are doing it and are brave enough. I haven't quite summoned up all my bravery yet to do it though. Yeah to you for doing it -- hope all goes well.

flbeachgirl

#4 Post by flbeachgirl »

Ok...made it through the first weekend and have learned a few things; I will never look at wax the same way again, it has saved the inside of my mouth, straws are a good thing, and I am thinking if I was ever to become a vegetarian, now is the time... :) I find myself obsessed with keeping my teeth clean, although can't be a bad thing, right? Does anyone have any experience with "staining" on the clear brackets? I wasn't sure if I should have gone with them, as I enjoy my morning coffee. My orthodontist has said the bands would stain but they could change them out with wire bands if need be, maybe I'll go with colored bands? Why not? I think I may go with metal on the bottom? I have until May 17 to decide that one...

AlbinoPenguin

#5 Post by AlbinoPenguin »

thats fantastic! seriously that is great! im sure when those puppies are all spiffed up and sparkle your going to feel excellent!

laura5535

#6 Post by laura5535 »

I'm glad there are others out there getting braces. I got braces three weeks ago and I'm 41 and I have TMJ also. I mainly got braces though to fix the breaking of a bridge -- my bite is off and it keeps breaking -- hopefully this will allow me to acquire some space and get that bite back on. Hang in there and I'm proud of you.

Marigold

#7 Post by Marigold »

Hi there! I got mine 6 months ago at 46. I haven't experienced a lot of pain, but my bite is pretty screwed up now and eating is not pleasant. Braces are a drag, but the changes happen so quickly and it's amazing to watch. I absolutely will not give up my morning coffee, but I always brush afterwards. Good luck!
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

Crazy4Snow

#8 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Welcome to the world of braces, you're in for a wild ride! Check back with us and post progress photos...I love to see pics of all the changes. I probably post way too many myself between here and my blog but I'm amazed every week at all the movement I see. Yay for getting those braces on, I'm 44 and firmly believe one is never too old to improve!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

sea54change

#9 Post by sea54change »

Flbeachgirl-
I love your name!
Welcome to braces and your love affair with wax!

I was 59 when my braces went on. I've survived 9 months and have 2 more months to go.

I too was obsessed with brushing my teeth and keeping the braces clean. I still am, however not to the same degree. The ortho hygenist always compliments me on how clean my teeth are. She told me some horrow stories of what she sees with some of the teens.

I have clear brackets on top with a metal wire. On the bottom, I have metal brackets & metal wire. The clear brackets haven't stained- I drink 2 cups of tea in the morning and coffee occasionaly.

For a short time after getting braces on, I was a vegetarian as I just could not chew meat or chicken. I also lost over 5 lbs those first 3 weeks!
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

Jannie

#10 Post by Jannie »

Hi, I am new here too. Just turned 43 last month and got my braces on June 1. I have clear brackets on top with a metal wire. On the bottom, I have metal brackets & metal wire. It's funny how in some ways, they are SO not a big deal but in others, they are. Eating has become a whole new thing for me- I've lost 5 lbs already. I am still adjusting to it all, but so glad I finally was able to get this done.

laura5535

#11 Post by laura5535 »

I am so glad to see a lot of "older" people getting braces. I myself don't see too may with braces and so I'm a little self-conscious but I appreciate the comment "you're never to old to improve yourself" so whoever said that -- thank you. I get on here to alleviate my anxiety with having braces and I appreciate all the positiveness and suppert I feel from here. Thank you all

MegP60+

#12 Post by MegP60+ »

Yes, it is great to see how many older people are now wearing braces. I got mine at 60 and have worn my full metal set for over 13 months. So glad I took pictures along the way because the difference is remarkable. You will find that eating gets easier and then more difficult and then easier again as you teeth continue to shift. I have found that my bite can be different from day to day. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories.

karina

#13 Post by karina »

I think its really great that we can all have braces at different ages and it has become a norm in our society. If people make fun of us, just remember they are the ones that are going to have yucky teeth, while we are going to have perfect teeth. And if the person making fun has perfect teeth, well its obvious they had braces when they were younger but they denying it because they are embarrassed and we are not ashamed to have braces!

flbeachgirl

#14 Post by flbeachgirl »

It has been awhile since I posted on here and a few things have happened. First of all I turned 43 in June, so now I am a "mom in braces at 43"!! I have traded out the clear for metal, much better, and have become a fan of ice cream and smoothies!! Some other good things....people say I look younger and I have lost 6 pounds from not eating as much. My teeth are definately more sensitive, but I do see some improvement.... I guess this "brace" thing isn't so bad.. :)
I have had some fun with pink (my favorite color) bands and looking forward to blue and orange next time.....for Gator football season of course!!

hanzie

#15 Post by hanzie »

welcome to the world of braces, im a 31 year old guy 12 months into a 2 year plan of braces, the changes have been pretty amazing for me so far.
the time really flys when you stop worrying about it and just live a normal life, at least it has for me.
the water pik has been a tool that's worth its weight in gold \. 11 more months to go \\