loose teeth??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GRILLZ

loose teeth??

#1 Post by GRILLZ »

the one thing that kind of freaks me out is having read about teeth getting loose during the braces process.....um...how loose do they get, and i guess they get unloose eventually....tell me what to expect re this....it's the one thing that is creeping me out..... :FeelSick:

musiclady2340

Re: loose teeth??

#2 Post by musiclady2340 »

Been braced 10 months and have found varying loose teeth at any one time. As things shift a few get loose. They do settle back down. Just part of the process. Good luck. :P

GRILLZ

#3 Post by GRILLZ »

when the teeth get loose, can you eat regular food, or do you need to have a soft or liquid diet at that time?

Ellebraced

#4 Post by Ellebraced »

Grillz

You are making me laugh. I am not going to lie, I find it super duper creepy. :GapToothed:

I have only had for 4 weeks so I don't know too much but my lower front teeth wiggle just a LITTLE bit. You know when a kid is about to loose a tooth and they can wiggle it. Well not to the point it's that loose but just enough to be weird and 32 with loose teeth that have always been hard as rock. I look it the mirror and I can wiggle it and it moves like 1-2mm

Ohhhh and I eat just fine, I don't like biting into too much with my front teeth. My uppers are really in place just feel like they have pressure.

A lot of times it just feels like a bit of tension and as if you have food stuck in it. Then it's fine the next day and then another tooth is weird or loose. You start seeing gaps and notice food gets stuck in different places and it's easier or harder to floss from one day to another.

THE WORST part..........I am OBSESSED with biting down on the loose teeth and it moves and I LIKE that feeling. SOOOOOOO GROSSSSSSSSS!!! But I can't stop wiggling them back and forth.

Don't worry it will be okay, it's kind of interesting in a weird creepy way!!

Elle

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

JennyLaughs

#5 Post by JennyLaughs »

I second everything Elle says. Four days in and I noticed a gap between 2 teeth that had never been there before... it was so big floss went right through without touching either tooth! Now it's gone again. And my top two front teeth are super loose... but I know they're not going anywhere (if for no other reason than they're wired into my mouth now :lol: ). My guilty "I can't seem to stop doing this" pleasure is one of my crowns. It's moving around in the socket or something because when I bite down, I can feel it move up and when I let go, it settles down again. It doesn't hurt in the slightest bit and when I realized what exactly was happening, I FREAKED out... but I've gotten used to it now and like I said, it something I can't seem to stop doing, hee hee.

jessicamay

#6 Post by jessicamay »

Hey there,

I asked my ortho about my loose teeth...he said it's normal and they are likely to feel wobbly for a while, it's not until the roots set in your jaw that they will stop being wobbly.

Although it's worth asking at your next visit just to check :-)

Don't panic!!

benj

#7 Post by benj »

Some of my front teeth went through a wobbly stage in the first year, that wasnt too bad - they have since stabilized, but the other night I noticed one of my large molars was wobbling where it was being pulled forward to close an extraction gap.
Yuck, I'll never forget that weird sensation - no pain, just a horrible, twisting penetrating feeling in the jaw. I try and see it as a positive, if the tooth really is loosening it up will probably mean the gap is closing faster....

sammywantstraightteeth

#8 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I've had that loose teeth feeling. Its pretty freaky, and if it wasn't for tonnes of people online saying it was normal I would have really freaked out. They never felt so loose I thought any would actually fall out, but I did keep having dreams about them all falling out!

Its like being a kid again when your adult teeth are just starting to come through, before the teeth are actually wobbly but you can definitely feel some movement. Except on all of your teeth at once instead of just one!

Just another part of the fun :)

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

GRILLZ

#9 Post by GRILLZ »

thank g-d for all the reassurance that it's normal it would have been a major freakout.....and may still be....but at least i'll know it's 'normal' :-* :-*

Gill

#10 Post by Gill »

This is something I find really scarey. I've actually got a really crooked front tooth where there's been some gum/bone loss, so I'm extra worried about it getting loose. The orthodontist warned me about wobbly teeth, and also that there is some risk associated with moving that front tooth, but I reckoned it was also quite risky just to leave it - the way it was slanted and crossing behind the other front tooth, it was a mess.

Anyway, i've had my braces 4 weeks now & am starting to notice that loose teeth feeling. Nothing visible, but a few at the front have that odd feeling. I can't bite on them - but then I couldn't before braces because of how crooked they are. (I'm too embarrassed to post photos).

Anyway, on the plus side, there's already been significant movement (to me anyway) and my front teeth are much straighter. It's incredible. Before my worst tooth was so angled and set back that it sometimes fell into shadow. In a couple of photos i looked like I've got a tooth missing! But now it's moved forward and looks much better.

It's great to read other people's stories here and be reassured that what I'm going through is normal

Sandpiper

#11 Post by Sandpiper »

Some days I feel like mine are flapping in the breeze, and the only thing stopping them falling out altogether is the archwire!! The others are right, though - you do through phases of everything seeming quite solid, and then next news things are loose and moving. It's never affected what I eat, though....just the care with which I eat. Good luck!
471 days in braces

[/url]

bookfairy

#12 Post by bookfairy »

Even after a year, mine are not as they were; they are not wobbly loose, just not strong; like I can't rip things apart with teeth (you know those cosmetics tester packages you get in magazines and stuff? And sometimes you can't open them with your fingers and you try it with your teeth? Can't do it.
I think it will take a long time once I'm out of braces for them to really "harden" themselves into place!
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!