Ceramic braces on lower teeth. Risk?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smythe

Ceramic braces on lower teeth. Risk?

#1 Post by Smythe »

I have enquired with several orthodontists about having upper & lower braces fitted.

As an adult I'd prefer the aesthetic of having ceramic instead of metal.

However some orthos I have contacted said they don't routinely fit ceramic braces to the lower teeth as there is the risk of them wearing the back of the upper teeth.

Whereas other orthos I contacted have not mentioned this.

Just wondered what opinions were on this risk?

Thank you.

VA5

Re: Ceramic braces on lower teeth. Risk?

#2 Post by VA5 »

I never heard of this but now you mention it, I can see it as a problem b/c the ceramics are larger than the metal braces. I have both ceramic on top and bottom, and I don't think it's wearing at the back of my upper teeth at all, but the edges yes. I had a lot of small chipping and jaggedness on my top teeth b/c they were hitting the bottom brackets. My ortho has filed down on the jaggedness and it's fine now, so I'm sure it was a problem only during a short period of time when my bottoms were really quite unlevel.

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

Here's what my ortho told me...
The glue for the ceramics is much stronger, so if your top teeth are hitting those lower brackets, instead of them just popping off-like the metals would-the ceramic brackets would just wear away at your teeth, like when you grind your teeth.
He actually told me that when ceramics first came out the glue was so strong that when they took the brackets off, it was pulling of enamel. Ouch.
Hope that all makes sense.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have upper ceramics and lower metals. My ortho said that the ceramics on the bottom can hit against the top and cause teeth to chip.

I have found that a grey powerchain on the lowers makes the metal look not so bad.

bookfairy

#5 Post by bookfairy »

Aren't they suppose to put something on your teeth in case teeth hit on the brackets to prevent that?
I've had it done... She put the same thing that is used in a filling on my back teeth, so my ppers and lowers didn't clash.

But then I don't have metallic or ceramic, I have in-ovation C and it looks like it's some sort of plastic.
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!

drgnchsr36

#6 Post by drgnchsr36 »

bookfairy wrote:Aren't they suppose to put something on your teeth in case teeth hit on the brackets to prevent that?
I've had it done... She put the same thing that is used in a filling on my back teeth, so my ppers and lowers didn't clash.

But then I don't have metallic or ceramic, I have in-ovation C and it looks like it's some sort of plastic.
Yep, I have upper ceramic and lower metal and the ortho put buildups so they don't hit.

I couldn't get lower ceramic since they're not as durable and that I could bite the brackets off more easily..

Jensniffer

#7 Post by Jensniffer »

I'm getting mine put on May 27 and am getting full uppers and lowers in ceramic. I wasn't told of any risks of doing that, I will add it to my list of things to ask now!

secretsmile

#8 Post by secretsmile »

I'm getting ceramics on top & bottom on the 24th... My orthodontist did some extra examinations on my jaw & teeth to see if I was a candidate... I only cared about the top but he says they can do both. He didn't mention chipping...

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Ceramic braces can be placed on the upper and lower arches.

As mentioned, there is a risk of chipping or wear of the opposing arch. We use the same glue as with metal brackets. Due to the properties of ceramic brackets, they are more abrasive than the metal brackets. With metal brackets, biting on them may flex the bracket slightly. With ceramic brackets, they are quite hard, and there is less give, making it more likely for the opposing tooth/and or bracket to chip.

It is true that most people have occlusal bonding/molar build ups/ bite pads etc to take the teeth out of occlusion, but this is when the teeth are biting together. There are still lateral and anterior movements of the lower jaw that can still allow for contact between the upper and lower arches.

One saving grace of having lower metal brackets when ceramic braces are not recommended is that the lower teeth are usually covered by the upper ones, and not visible for a long period of time.

Hope this clears things up a bit!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Jensniffer

#10 Post by Jensniffer »

Thanks, that helps me understand a bit better!

Jen