Questions on sensitivity, first week etc.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

secretsmile

Questions on sensitivity, first week etc.

#1 Post by secretsmile »

Hi everyone,

I just got my braces yesterday. I have full braces on the bottom plus power chains (to start closing the extraction gaps). Then on the top I have braces on all but the molars which have spacers (my ortho just got back from vacation, so that's why I didn't get spacers earlier). My tops also have power chains to start closing the extraction gaps.

Yesterday I had a lot of pain especially on the bottom teeth. But today fortunately it's responding to the ibuprofen and just a dull pain and soreness - so yay for that. Though my teeth are very sensitive especially close to the extraction sites and I can't even bite on anything soft without zingers.

I had some questions:

I know everyone's different but how long did it take for you to be able to floss? I tried on my first day and it was painful, plus the floss wouldn't even fit on some of the gaps and kept getting stuck...

How long did it take before you could use an electric toothbrush? I just used a manual one yesterday.

How long until you could bite down without stabbing pain?

Thanks in advance for your help.... Next week I go back to get the spacers removed and molar bands and elastics put on... Ouch... Beauty is pain...
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

LAJaw

Re: Questions on sensitivity, first week etc.

#2 Post by LAJaw »

For me it took about a week for the pain to go away when I was first braced, and a several days for the pain to go away after each adjustment.
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

hazybubbles

#3 Post by hazybubbles »

about a week I think. one side was worse than the other.... the side i use to chew more got comfortable more quickly.

Justiz

#4 Post by Justiz »

I agree with the above after initial bracing it took about a full 7 days before the pain subsided, but it was nice to see movement with the power chains right away.

I used an electric toothbrush from the start especially to massage my aching gums which I liked better than the manual brush. As far as eating I pretty much didnt eat well till about day 5 and all I could have was chili. I lost about 4 pounds that week ..lol

De-Brace Day: May 31, 2011 :) WOO HOO!!!
Essix retainer; Bonded Retainer on 2 Front Teeth
Braces- upper- October 1, 2009; lower- December 1, 2009
18 months to the day!

JulieFL

#5 Post by JulieFL »

I switched from my electric brush to manual. I tried flossing, and it hurt quite a bit on the teeth with springs. I'm using a waterpik instead. Hurt a lot at first, but it felt ok by day 5 (also the same day I stopped needing advil and managed to chew a little). I flossed after to see if it missed anything, but it didn't! I brought it to work with me today to use after lunch.