Worried about extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenn B

Re: Worried about extractions

#31 Post by Jenn B »

Hey Beth! Welcome :) I'm not going through with the jaw surgery...I'm happy with everything now. My extractions went well and I am in braces now...I'm so excited for the change! I am waiting until January to get my wisdom teeth pulled...I was too scared to get it all done at once! Do you have your braces on now?

bethykins2492

#32 Post by bethykins2492 »

Hi again! Thanks for getting back in touch :D
I have a hospital appointment this Wednesday so I may have braces very soon! I can't wait to get things rolling, I've been attending my clinic for 10 years now (since I was 9). My treatment should hopefully be over by the time I graduate from university.
I'm glad you're happy with your treatment, looking back at extractions they're not too worrying (couldn't really say that at the time though!) I just found them a little annoying and uncomfortable.
If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting treated for?

Jenn B

#33 Post by Jenn B »

I have a lot of crowding on the bottom teeth and my uppers are crowded as well. One tooth is behindthe other on the top. Hence the reason for extractions. My mouth just isn't big enough for all the teeth. I also have a crossbite that is being corrected.

kennyandrew85

#34 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I had extractions about 3 months ago, haven't noticed anything different in my face, although ONE person did mention i look thinner, this is due to the fact that I can't eat/drink rubbish so i have lost nearly 2 stone in body weight from just having braces.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

diegorgeous

#35 Post by diegorgeous »

kennyandrew85 wrote:I had extractions about 3 months ago, haven't noticed anything different in my face, although ONE person did mention i look thinner, this is due to the fact that I can't eat/drink rubbish so i have lost nearly 2 stone in body weight from just having braces.
What teeth did you have taken out?? Also, is your ortho pulling back your teeth??

zephyr80

#36 Post by zephyr80 »

I had the same procedure on monday, the pulled my 4 first premolars, and put the braces on.. :/

kennyandrew85

#37 Post by kennyandrew85 »

diegorgeous wrote:
kennyandrew85 wrote:I had extractions about 3 months ago, haven't noticed anything different in my face, although ONE person did mention i look thinner, this is due to the fact that I can't eat/drink rubbish so i have lost nearly 2 stone in body weight from just having braces.
What teeth did you have taken out?? Also, is your ortho pulling back your teeth??
Had the 4 biscupids just behind the canines and yep having my teeth pulled back
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Chapincita18

#38 Post by Chapincita18 »

I was worried the exact same as you. I had really really crooked teeth and the ortho told me to get extractions. I was so worried about my face changing, looking older, etc...and I'm 29 years old too. Its a huge worry I had.

I had my extractions (just two upper teeth) about a year and 5 months ago, and though I cannot say that there ARENT any changes, its not drastic. I do notice some things are different in my face...however, its not bad or drastic like you would think. They are oh-so-subtle. The negative things I have noticed are, for lack of a better description, a "sunken face" look, but ONLY when I make my mouth into a dramatic "O" shape. I notice and indentation on my cheeks. And also, I notice more more pronounced lines/dimples/puffiness around my mouth. but I think I have always had those, really...I just notice them a little bit more because I'm watching or maybe they are more noticeable.

But other than that, its not too bad. And trust me I've been watching, I had the same worries. I waited six months before going and having extractions. My orthodontist was peeved.